Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fon Fonera plug

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Fon Fonera plug

Hi
I bought the Fonera and it came today via UPS and there was a adapter to use the plug in the UK.
I looked at the requirements of the Fonera and it is 5V and 1A
Can I use a plug which has an output of 5A and 1.2 A?
Will it harm me or the device or start a risk?
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
15 REPLIES
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Fon Fonera plug

I think it is very unlikely to cause an problems as long as it is a reasonably good quality power supply/plug.  (It it isn't it could cause problems even for its intended use).
I'm using a converted old Netgear as a FON router at the moment but there are issues with it sometimes appearing offline when it isn't.  Apparently they have changed FON details since the Netgear firmware was written and that is a likely reason.  Let us know how you get on with the FON router (whichever power plug); I may be tempted to fork out for a real one rather than continuing with my Netgear.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I'm finding the 'real' one quite good.
Although the wireless range is a twin to the TG582n it hasn't got good coverage.  The antenna isn't removable.
I'll upload a pic of the setup in a few moments
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Some pics
The Fonera is fed via ethernet cable direct from my hub 5. It then provides my Dlink Dir 615 with a normal connection (no Fon login required) so I broadcast free public wifi set up with Dd-wrt with hot spot login enabled.  Thinking of moving the Fonera next to the hub 5 rather than next to the window sill? But worried about interference.
NE
sjptd
Grafter

Thanks for posting back.  Because of availability of power and Ethernet sockets my Netgear/FON is separated 2 floors above my router (HH3) via two switches and a long ethernet cable.  One advantage of having a real FON is that it would transmit a private signal as well as the public one, and so improve our upstairs wifi on the LAN as well as acting as a public FON device.
Why do you need the Dlink as well as the HH5?  Does it give better wireless coverage or ...?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

The D-Link DIR 615 provides members of public limited internet access for 2hours at a 5mb connection speed.
Uses the hotspot login platform - quite complicated to set up!
I bought the FONera purely for the BT WiFi hotspots (the majority are BTWiFi-With-Fon) very occasionally you get BT-WiFi (without fon)
NE
sjptd
Grafter

So the public limited access you are providing is totally separate from FON, and even more public?
Is this out of the goodness of your heart, or is there some other aspect, or have I just not quite understood?
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've got my Fonera in the garage - my IT dept (!) has overflowed from the study so I put a homeplug with 4 x ethernet ports out there to feed the Fon, a small old Dell PC which acts as a mail & webcam server, and another spare NAS drive
It gives handy coverage to the back garden on the private wifi, plus as we are in a small cul-de-sac in a small village the chances of anyone actually using the public Fon are remote - I got it so that I can plug in to the Fon network
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@SJPTD
I'm giving out wifi as there is a pub a few doors down which gets good signal of my dir 615.
I've had a few people login and paying for more period of time or faster access or a totally uncapped package.
All proceeds come to me and can charge whatever the amount. The pun fortunately does not give out wifi.
All IP and Mac addresses are stored in case of illegal activity so I can hand over to the relevant department got evidence etc... only appropriate sites are visible. Adult content,  file sharing or illegal sites are blocked. As well as proxies.
NE
pwatson
Rising Star

You have read clauses 3 & 16 of the T&C's you agreed to?
Community Veteran

Quote from: sjptd
I'm using a converted old Netgear as a FON router at the moment but there are issues with it sometimes appearing offline when it isn't.  Apparently they have changed FON details since the Netgear firmware was written and that is a likely reason. 

The source for the FON ROMs is freely available, one may need to re-add the OpenWRT parts specific to your hardware back in to it's build tree as they've slashed the OpenWRT source to only have their devices as targets (and that may have implications with authenticating to the FON servers too) but it could be a fun project.
I'm tempted, but I'm not sure I have any spare OpenWRT routers that I can flash, to try and 'roll my own'.
I do have an old HH2 kicking around so if you've found any tricks to get that working as a FON box on a PN connection I'd be interested in reading them.
A.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

So Plusnet are saying that a FON is not allowed due to it not being for personal use?!?!
If I pay for my connection - I'm entitled to do whatever with my signal
NE
pwatson
Rising Star

My point was that reselling your connection for public access via your DIR-615 would seem to be against the Residential T&Cs. 
However, strictly speaking, using your connection for FON is also against the 'personal use' clause, though I suspect PN would turn a blind eye to this.  An official reply from PN would remove any question marks of course!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Embarrassed Showing my ignorance here, but what exactly is the FON? What's it for?
itsme
Grafter

[quote=https://corp.fon.com/en]
What is Fon?
Fon is your Global WiFi Network.
It's built by people just like you.
Fon members share a bit of their home WiFi, and in turn get free access at millions of other Fon hotspots worldwide.
Joining is easy. All you have to do is buy a Fon WiFi router and plug it into your broadband connection. No monthly fees!
Or, if you live in a country where Fon has a telco partner, just sign up with them to become a member.