Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Following on from the picture competition

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Following on from the picture competition

And here`s mine !

For snapshots i use the canon ixus 4mp
I must find time to get some pics into the competition there`s some good stuff in there already
Highlighted
Legend
Fixes: 168

I don't actually have a digital camera and rely on the one from my mobile to take pictures.
However, I'm probably going to splash out in the next couple of month (just bought a PS3 so not this month!!), so can anyone recommend a good digital camera for around £100-£150 ?Huh
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Highlighted
Grafter

I have a Canon 400D...very highly rated in the mags
extremely difficult to take a bad photo...
I love it but I'm afraid it'll cost you a bit more that £150.
Save up....it's worth it.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Chris
I don't actually have a digital camera and rely on the one from my mobile to take pictures.
However, I'm probably going to splash out in the next couple of month (just bought a PS3 so not this month!!), so can anyone recommend a good digital camera for around £100-£150 ?Huh

Whenever someone asks such a question I always recommend a member of Fuji's F<two digits> series - currently the F20, F30, F31, F40, F45, F47. Basically, just buy the most expensive one you can afford, and you shouldn't look back.
Whatever you do, don't buy a Canon camera...
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G

Any particular reason for that?  I'm looking at Digital SLR's at the moment.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I don't know why Thomas suggests not getting a Canon camera, however I recall many years ago when digital cameras were first becoming available and I used to get the Personal Computer World mag.
They issued a CD with a photo taken by all the available makes at the time along with info and the current prices.
Comparing the the photos and prices I was quite surprised to find that the cheapest camera gave by far the clearest image.
That camera was made by Fugi. The expensive Canon came nowhere near the picture quality at that time.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Liam
Quote from: Be3G

Any particular reason for that?  I'm looking at Digital SLR's at the moment.

Take a look at my first post in this thread...
Addendum: Also, aside from what I mentioned in my initial post, two Canon compact cameras my mum's owned over the years have had problems (although the one she owned in between those two faulty ones worked fine).
Highlighted

I do highly recommend the Panasonic lumix_dmc-tz1 this is the one i use. Compacted with a great optical zoom usually found on SLR camera's -  The newer version can now be picked up for£179.95  ( a little more than the £150)
Panasonic lumix_dmc-tz2
http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=6076&wysiwyg=1&gclid=CNC9qqim4Y0CFQEGEAodBX03b...
Or if you could go a little higher go for the Panasonic lumix_dmc-tz3  this includes a wide angle lens.
priced at around £234. 

I've added a photo just to show you how good..  also there are 2 other photo's on the competition thread
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mark.
Highlighted

just wondering but if u are either a) slagging off canon cameras or b) have one at present or better why enter a competition to win one? don`t take offence not getting at anyone would just like to know the reasoning here? Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Good question. It's just for the fun of entering the competition really, although if I did win the DSLR (which it doesn't look like I'm likely to) I would replace my 20D with it and hope that it's more reliable. As you'll see from an earlier post in the thread, I currently own four Canon lenses - and as a result, I'm basically stuck with Canon cameras now, unless I want to lose money invested in the lenses too.
Highlighted

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FX-5 and it does a fine job. I like the Leica lens, the Optical Image Stabilizing, the accurate colour rendition and the fact that you can carry it in your pocket. It's great to have a decent camera but getting a better one won't make you a better photographer. You have to have an eye for composition, the ability to capture 'the decisive moment' (even in landscape photography) and some digital darkroom skills these days. And you don't have to go to far flung exotic places to get the best photos either.
Highlighted
Grafter

Canon 20d here
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: Chris

Have a look at this
http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm
Highlighted
Grafter

Mine is an Hitachi HDC-631E....6m pixels.3 x optical zoom.4 x digital zoom.2.0in colour LCD screen.64Mb SD memory card.Video output.Movie capture and sound recording.USB connection.
     I think it's great,easy to use and takes great pictures. I wish digital had been around 50 years ago,I think i was using a Brownie Box camera then.
     Sorry no picture it won't take self portrait ; Grin
Geriatric getting greyer every minute
Highlighted

I still have an (now) ancient Zenith 11 SLR, having done quite a bit of photography in the past, but the first two photos I scanned for the competition were taken with a Kodak compact camera, which actually produces better colours. The third photo was with a Fuji Finepix S7000, borrowed from my dad while on holiday.
I had been looking around at different DSLR cameras when the e-mail came through about the competition. One of my options was the Canon 400D, so I thought I'd give it a go. The others that were being compared with the 400D were the Nikon D40 and D80 (the D80 is almost £200 more), an Olympus, a Sony and a Pentax (I can't remember the model numbers offhand). Most reviews were plumping for the D80, but then it was significantly more than most of the others. Another reason for me to go for a Canon, is that they are easier to use a standard screwmount lens with them, which is handy for my 70-300 mm f5.6 Carl Zeiss Jena lens.