cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Following on from the picture competition

Dusty
Grafter

Following on from the picture competition

What camera did you use to take your photos and have you upgraded it ? I used and still use a cheap samsung A 402. Its cheap easy to use and has a lot of functions for the price at the time. It does how ever suffer from blurring occasionally. So what camera did you use.

38 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Following on from the picture competition

Hmm...
I've owned (though not necessarily for the competition) in approximately chronological order:

• Kodak Instamatic (can't remember the model number, but it was one that worked with the rotating flash cubes)

• Kodak Ektra (again, can't recall the models, but one had an integral flash and the other used flash bars with 8 or 10 uses)

• Pentax SF7

• Ixus Z50 (from the techological cul-de-sac of APS)

• Fujifilm Finepix 1300

• Canon 300V

• Ixus 330

• Canon 300D

• Ixus 430

• Canon 350D

[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
Dusty
Grafter

Was never in to taking photos until the digital age and the advent of being able to post them on web sites. Them flash cubes, my god have we advanced since then.
James
Grafter

Liam
Grafter

... here's mine.  I love it.  Didn't quite have enough cash for a DSLR so opted for this instead.  At the time it was £350, but it's a great camera and takes some fantastic quality shots.
Dusty
Grafter

Now that's what i call a camera
Community Veteran

The S7000 is indeed a good camera - I once owned its 'father' model (the S602) and I really liked it; it was the camera that got me interested in photography as a more artistic pursuit than just recording memories. (Although recording memories still takes priority over 'art' for me, which is why my photographs aren't normally particularly arty.)
I've had a whole host of digital cameras since I got my first one (a Fuji FinePix 1300) back in May 2001, but my current camera is a Canon EOS 20D. Along with the camera, I then have four lenses:

• 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II

• 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

• 50mm f/1.8

• 55-200mm f/4-5.6 II USM

Alas, I have had a ridiculous number of problems with my camera equipment. Two of the lenses in that list above - the 17-85 and 55-200 - are currently with Canon being repaired. The 50mm produces annoyingly soft images at f/1.8, which makes it only somewhat usable at that aperture. And the camera itself has been repaired three times: twice because of focussing troubles, and once because the LCD screen stopped working - a few days after the warranty expired too. (Though, to be fair to Canon, they were sympathetic and repaired it under warranty anyway... well, I say 'sympathetic' but really, seeing as the camera had already been repaired twice, it would have looked pretty bad if they didn't IMHO.)
The annoying thing is that because of all the problems I've had, I can never be 100% certain what's at fault - i.e. when I get soft images, are they indicative of a problem with the lens, or a problem with the camera? I've had so many lens problems it's unbelievable (there've been a couple I tried but they were no good so I just returned them, hence them not appearing in my list earlier), but then again, as I say, the camera's also been repaired and re-calibrated etc.. So who knows what's going on...
Still, I do enjoy taking photographs... I just wish I didn't have such rotten luck from the technological side of things. I do have a Flickr account here where you can view some of my photos, though only my most recent 200 are visible as I haven't yet renewed my pro account.
Dusty
Grafter

Some really nice photos there, really good quality shots . Here are all of my efforts  Roll eyes
http://www.dustysworld.net/photogallery/
Community Veteran

For a few years I was quite happy with my Soni Mavica FD81 despite the fact that it saved its files to Floppies  Embarrassed
Eventualy the Lithium Batteries needed replacing so I decided to replace it.
I initially got a Nikon L5 which takes very good pictures in good light but was very dissapointing for taking indoor shots at Model Railway exhibitions.
I augmented this with a Fugi S6500 and have to say that I am more than delighted with the images it takes, and the manual options available.
Its only drawback is that it wont fit easily into my pocket as the Nikon does so I now use both depending on just what I want them for.
Incidentaly the cost of both the new cameras was less than the original cost of the Mavica  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: John_Essex
Its only drawback is that it wont fit easily into my pocket as the Nikon does so I now use both depending on just what I want them for.

Indeed, it's good to have more than one camera. I basically have a choice of three, which I use for different occasions: my 20D which I use for anything important, a little Canon Ixus camera I share with my mum for when I don't want to take a large and heavy DSLR/lenses with me, and finally the camera in my Nokia N73 if I'm really desperate and don't have any of the other two (or they stop working!).
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G
.....and finally the camera in my Nokia N73 if I'm really desperate and don't have any of the other two (or they stop working!).

I forgot about that. My third camera is like you the one in my mobile phone which can take some good pictures if the light is bright enough.
As you say its a good backup if you don't have the "proper" cameras with you.  Wink
mjpx

I used a Panasonic dmctz1- This is a nice compact camera which has a 10x Optical zoom which is the main reason for buying this.   There are a few compact camera's out there now which have a big zooms, but normally you have to buy an SLR camera.
chino
Grafter

This is my new camera as my old one got stolen Sad

Sony DSCW90 Digital Camera
briggs

Mine's a Fuji Finepix A310, bought in america on the same trip as the photos were taken from a huge shop in NY run by a huge amount of very orthodox Jews.
It works. Had a lot of fun with it and it hasn't broken yet, so it's all good.
zpeterk
Grafter

Here is mine