cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Following on from the picture competition

Dabbler

Re: Following on from the picture competition

Hi guys n gals.
  I've been using a canon Ixus lowly 4 mega pixel.  It's a great little camera but I don't like the multi point auto focus system as it can only be turned off in full manual mode and sometimes when I'm in a hurry I just want to choose the focus spot and let the camera work the rest out. 

Still this little Ixus has helped me learn about ISO and shutter compensation. Now I really need a more advanced camera. I was also looking/saving for a better camera when the force9 email came through. It was a choice between the

• Canon 400D

• Pentax lumix ultra zoom

• Canon S5 ultra zoom.

At least the Canon S5 takes normal as well as rechargeable batteries. I hate proprietary batteries. They cost the earth and hold no more than some good uniross AA rechargeables. Worst of all I've had to throw away perfectly good gadgets in the past because the manufacturer stopped making cells.  Sad
Anyway good luck to everyone.
Community Veteran

I wouldn't worry about the fact the 400D takes a proprietary battery. You'll find DSLR batteries last forever on one recharge (it can be upwards of 1000 photos without a flash), and they all tend to use similar models of battery, so Canon won't be tempted to stop producing them any time soon.
Community Veteran

I use a Canon EOS 300D (which used to be owned by BE3G :))... just bought a new lense for it too.
Unfortunately, I don't get nearly enough time to take pictures these days.
Grafter

I have a olympus 740/7.1 pixels, 5xzoom.  Bought it in February when days were dark. Good photos.  Lovely camera to use But when sun is shining I canot see what I am taking!  It does not have a viewfinder and the display disappears!  So my photos become a bit hit and miss.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G

I always recommend a Fuji
Whatever you do, don't buy a Canon camera...

Why buy a camera from an old established roll film company when you can buy one from an old established camera manufacturer.
Community Veteran

Because my experience is that the 'old established film roll company' produces more reliable, dependable equipment than the 'old established camera manufacturer'.
Grafter

I don't have any statistics to follow up this line but I bought my first camera from Woolworths in 1957 for 7 shillings and sixpence. It took 127 size film and came complete with a wire frame flip up view finder. Since then I have had a Zenith, a Practica and more recently a Pentax, all 35mm. I currently own a  Canon 400 DSLR and find it a good match against my ageing Pentax, something I used to argue against with 'trendy' digital users.
I've processed miles of film in many different formats and usually carry a camera wherever I go as you never know when that ellusive masterpiece will appear.
Happy shooting
Community Veteran

Bear in mind that cameras also generally have a way to change the screen's brightness, which can help.

I use a Fuji S700 and agree with the comment that digital cameras can be 'irritatingly complicated' I can't complain because i won it 2 years ago. Up until then I'd used my Sony video camera with the memory stick for stills (and video cut-outs) and an ageing Pentax. I've had 2 Pentax' and a Practika before that. When I did my National Service my brother almost forced me buy one of his cameras. I settled for his Periflex and was glad I did. Did all my NS in East Africa(apart from training). I would like to update  the Fuji but to get all the extra features I'd like would cost an arm and a leg.
I've only seen one still camera that has a pivoted screen  soI made one out of an old powder compact which slots into the hotshoe mount. Trouble is the the immage is reversed but at least i can hold the camera above the heads of a crowd and 'snap'. Taken at a high resolution the  the unnecessarily higher wide angle  can be easily cropped. I voted for picture 6 (not mine!!!)
Quote from: Kernuak
I still have an (now) ancient Zenith 11 SLR, having done quite a bit of photography in the past, but the first two photos I scanned for the competition were taken with a Kodak compact camera, which actually produces better colours. The third photo was with a Fuji Finepix S7000, borrowed from my dad while on holiday.
I had been looking around at different DSLR cameras when the e-mail came through about the competition. One of my options was the Canon 400D, so I thought I'd give it a go. The others that were being compared with the 400D were the Nikon D40 and D80 (the D80 is almost £200 more), an Olympus, a Sony and a Pentax (I can't remember the model numbers offhand). Most reviews were plumping for the D80, but then it was significantly more than most of the others. Another reason for me to go for a Canon, is that they are easier to use a standard screwmount lens with them, which is handy for my 70-300 mm f5.6 Carl Zeiss Jena lens.