A harsh winter on the way?

Warning: the Internet may contain traces of nuts

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

Re: Folklore and holly berries

Possible, @198kHz . I've been thinking we are kind of due one - the last few have been extremely non-winter like/

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Yeah... lots of red berries around.... but... the folklore may be a bit mistimed....

if we are going to have a harsh winter... ...when ... is it going to be... late september ?  cos by the end of october all those berries will have fallen off and be on the ground..useless to anything... ( cept maybe a few meeces.... ! )

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

Not necessarily @shutter , in previous years they've stayed until some time around early Dec, then enjoyed by the birds until Christmas. Very few reach the ground.

Warning: the Internet may contain traces of nuts

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
jab1
Seasoned Hero

Good point, @shutter . My cotoneaster is also quite heavy with berries, but it is just recovering after a good pruning, so might be a 'false flag'.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

I always thought of September, being harvest time for the grain farmers....but this year, seems they have been out early and got all the crops safely tucked away.... 

Mind you... there are reports, that the grain harvest this year is well below expectations due to the early spring and wet early summer.... which will mean a higher price for good grain.. and that will lead to higher bread and cake and biscuit prices... ( not to mention beer and other grain type tipples) ...

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@jab1 Hope you are better soon. Ive heard that sitting on a blow up rubber ring helps speed recovery!!!EvilThumbs_Up

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@TTman 🤣Funny

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Really strange all round this year, our roses which had finished flowering over a month ago have now flowered again along with some honeysuckle. 

Just so odd.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Minivanman   Ah! .... yeah!...... but..... you do live in Wales.. Cheesy

I keep an eye on our roses,... ( not literally! ! ) ... and dead head them as needed... and then cut them back to a leaf branch where a small bud is showing in the join of the leaf to the main stem... that produces a new shoot, and more blooms.. 

Also feed them with a rose feed.... normally this comes in a bag or box carton, in pellet form... However, I found it easier to dish out to them if I shovelled a half a trowel of pellets in a watering can, and leave to soak for 24 hours... give a good mix up before administering to the plants,  comes out as stinking mucky water..but they seem to thrive on it... 

chicken feed .pngchicken feed 2.png

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

2.JPGThis particular rose is what's known I think shutter as a dog rose.

Picked it a few years back along with it's roots and planted it alongside our front porch so that it grows upwards and over which it has done. Needs no attention of than the occasional cutting back when it decides to strike out with thos e extra growths.

White with just a hint of pink and mixed in with honeysuckle, I tell people it's my little bit of Yorkshire on show each year. 😊  

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

facebook_1598951731923_6706489645011822931 (2).jpg