Folding Plugs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Folding Plugs

Has anyone seen these for sale yet?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Folding Plugs

That's an interesting item journeys.  I've seen something similar in the US but not as neat as this.
With most appliances coming with plugs fitted these days it could be a time before they catch on.
Steve
Pro

Seen them for sale?? I didn't even know about them, So no i have not seen them for sale but im definitely  going to look out for them now thanks to this thread.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my local Coop has table lamps on display with Transparent plugs, you can check the wiring and fuse without unplugging, they came on the Demo lamps and were not for sale Sad Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

A company called Made in Mind is now marketing the folding plug and the latest news is that “a product range” using the design will be on sale later this year.
http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/news/100318/folding-uk-mains-plug-wins-design-award-on-sale-soon
http://www.madeinmind.co.uk/plug.php
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Oldjim beat me to it, but here is the link to the Made In Mind FAQ - http://www.madeinmind.co.uk/faq.php,
and here is the product info http://www.minkyu.co.uk/Site/Product/Entries/2009/4/20_Folding_Plug_System.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I did notice that one of the FAQ's:
Q – Is the plug safe?
A – Yes. The plug and associated products will undergo extensive testing and be certified by all national safety bodies prior to release.

The crucial word is..."will" not "has"
Already one correspondent in one of the links has described the device as dangerous.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

From my first link above
This is clearly not designed by an engineer as it is fundamentally dangerous and would be illegal if sold.
The BS 1363 standard was introduced in 1947, one of its main objectives was to end child deaths due to electrocution from plugs and sockets, and it has succeeded brilliantly.
There are two very obvious errors in the Folding Plug design (quite apart from whether the moving parts are up to doing the job).
One is that the safety barrier in this design is optional; this is because you do not have to fold out the sides to be able to insert the plug. That is completely unacceptable, safety must be inherent. The standard requires 9.5mm from the pins to the periphery of the plug; this design has 3mm along the length of the rotating part and 0mm at the ends.
The other obvious error is that access to the fuse must be impossible when the plug is in use, this design has the fuse accessible at all times.
The existing design of folding plug on the market, SlimPlug, does not have these problems, the ThinPlug, currently awaiting regulatory approval, has also been designed with safety in mind. Perhaps it is because those two designs come from engineers, not an art student who can create something attractive, but clearly has no understanding of engineering design.
BS 1363 and the Plugs and Sockets regulations are in place to stop dangerous products being foisted on the unwary by the ignorant. The fact that the Folding Plug has been awarded several prestigious design awards tells a very sorry story about the values of our society.
mikeyd
Grafter

I saw this ages ago and I'm sure the inventor will go a long way (wish I'd thought of it)...
BUT: I have watched the videos and still haven't convinced myself it's safe, or will meet the BS standard.  
I may be wrong (I often am) but I cant work out what stops the 'wings' from folding back after it's plugged in.  The videos I've seen and the photos in the original post just don't show how the whole plug assembly  locks into position before being plugged in.  
In my humble opinion, rotating the live and neutral pins horizontal should be the last action which locks everything together.
EDIT:  Didn't see OldJims post but his quote sums it up.
Community Veteran

Maybe I'm being thick (wouldn't be the first time) but I can't even see the fuse.  I'm finding it difficult to see how this could be made safe
I know our 13 amp plugs are bulky, but they're the safest in Europe, and I suspect the world.
One or two things immediately cry out:
Rotating the pins (even if they could only be set in the correct orientation in terms of Neutral and Line) must eventually lead to a wire breaking and possibly causing arcing or a short circuit
Actually attaching the plug must be a real pig.
Like I said earlier, I can't see where the fuse is, (unless it's beneath that little red tag - in which case it's a serious risk of access to live parts, unless you need a tool to undo it.)
John
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this was an earlier proto
David_W
Rising Star

I'd think that the fuse is the red bit?  Would be a devil to remove it otherwise?  I can't though see how it can be plugged in unless it's in it's unfolded state, will it just not fit?  I'm not an engineer though, but on looking it does seem to have 1 or 2 flaws, as pointed out, moving objects can become lose, and the last thing you want lose is the wires inside a plug.
Community Veteran

Thanks Pierre - That's what I thought.  If you can access the fuse like that, without tools, while the things plugged in, it's an accident waiting to happen.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Back in my musical group playing days, in one group I was the resident "sparks" and our mains extension lead was fitted (by me) with what was known as a "fit-all" plug. In those days it was quite common to find a mains socket that had a number of plug pin options; 13amp square, 15amp round, 10amp round and 5amp 2 and 3 pin round. the "fit-all" had drop-down pins that locked in position by twisting them.
As I recall it (and its been sometime) no fuse was fitted, it could get quite hot in use with two 30watt amps, a 50watt bass amp and a 100watt PA system plus a couple of echo units running from it, all fitted with lovely hot humming, glowing valves (tubes in todays parlance) and partly also due to the pins never really locking properly. I think it was eventually withdrawn from sale on safety grounds. It was also quite bulky and heavy.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: journeys
Has anyone seen these for sale yet?

No and I would not buy one.