cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fog lights

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Fog lights

Not had the current car long but just discovered that you can have the front and back fog lights on or just the front fog lights.

Can't follow the logic of that, under what circumstances would you want your front fog lights on but not the back one ?

Before you tell me having the front fog lights on when there is no fog lights the road up much better is it not an offence to use fog lights if it is not foggy ?

19 REPLIES 19
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 92

Re: Fog lights

It is

Rule 226 of the Highway Code states: "You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@MisterW

I could never understand that regulation, because all the foglights I've ever had are set to light up the road immediately in front of the car, not along the road. So how can they dazzle if they point below horizontal?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 92

I agree , it doesn't make sense for most front foglights. In fact on my current car the appropriate front foglight automatically illuminates when you apply steering lock at low speeds to provide 'cornering light'

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As an habitual user of front fogs for edge of road illumination on unlit country roads, the LED running lamps fitted to some modern cars are far more dazzling. I think because of this the Police do not stop drivers for using front fog lights as perhaps they did once upon a time. However if they’re stopping you for something else you might find it on the charge sheet.

Some years ago a colleague was stopped for fog lights on in clear weather. She had an MG BGT, she produced the hand book which described those lights as “Driving Lights”. Left the officer scratching his head.

However using REAR fog lights in anything other than fog or falling snow, should have the driver taken away and shot.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

@petlew wrote:
However using REAR fog lights in anything other than fog or falling snow, should have the driver taken away and shot.

I believe the wording is: "You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves."

Heavy rain can also impact visibility and require use of fog lights, so can't agree with your sentence :wink:

How many times are you following cars weeks after the last fog or low visibility? 

Mark

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drove 15 miles in quite dense Fog today, front & rear fog lights on for the most part.

Drove at a speed suitable for the low visibility.

Yet....

There are still idiots who don't have any lights on at all.

And even worse, drivers in a rush to meet their maker !

The roads round here are narrow, twisty and extremely dangerous to overtake in the best of conditions.

Visibility was down to no more than 20 metres at times.

And of course, when I first set off.... no fog at all.

Saw a couple of "porthole" drivers too !

We had a heavy frost overnight, the past two nights... The heated windscreen on the Kuga cleared the screen within just a few seconds, it also comes into operation automatically at 5ºC whist driving. I think it's standard on most modern Fords.

Arriving at local town, drivers still with Front & Rear fog lights still on... no fog !

I wonder how autonomous self driving cars cope in fog ?

FOGGY 100119.jpg

FOGGY 100119b.jpg

Luzern
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

I drive only short trips now, and certainly not in fog, but I recall well driving several times a week from Tunbridge Wells to Slough via M25. Many reps(?) cars without lights passed, predominately grey and very often Vauxhalls--- the grey cavaliers emulating the Light Brigade, riding all in the valley of death.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ffox
Pro

In the mid 1990s I was driving down a dark M11 in what I used to call a safe 50mph fog (you could see the tail-lights of a vehicle 200 yds ahead).  However, when a lorry with grey tarpaulin is lying on it's side across both lanes, 50mph is definitely not safe!   I stopped with a couple of feet to spare and learned a valuable lesson.  I had my fog lights on, but they didn't help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Drove 15 miles in quite dense Fog today, front & rear fog lights on for the most part.

Drove at a speed suitable for the low visibility.

Arriving at local town, drivers still with Front & Rear fog lights still on... no fog !

I was on my way to Visit Dianne Oxberry who was an in patient at The Christie, where I spent most of last year, and where she supported me as a Friend and ex-colleague.

Unfortunately she had already passed away by the time I arrived.

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Factory fitted front fog lamps - you'd be hard pushed to dazzle anyone. The beam they produce is very flat. Rear fog lamps can be a right pain when left on.

As for those 'turning' lamps. I'm not convinced at all. I really cannot see the need, At roundabouts it's very easy to start to think that the car coming on to the roundabout is starting to indicate to go off left. And most seem to actuate with very little left or right deviation to the straight ahead position. I was following a BMW that had them (at 50mph) and all it was, left on, right on as we went around not very sharp bends.

I see the UN was revisiting the issue of bright lights I do wonder on people's eyesight, even more so, when they have them on main beam until the last second.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

A lot of modern cars now have non latching relays fitted to rear fog lights. Should mean that when the ignition is turned off, the switch disengages and no more endless weeks with rear fogs on. Of course, there are still plenty of numpties driving older vehicles with the old style fog light switches that don't seem to have an off position :angry:

Anonymous
Not applicable

On my Kuga, when stationary and I depress the engine STOP button, everything switches off....

Including

Front & Rear fog lights

Main/dipped beams

Radio/ Music Centre

Navigation Display

Climate Control

Heated Seats

Heated Windscreen & rear window

Wipers

and probably a couple of other things I can't remember...

Interior lights come on, for several seconds, or until I lock the doors.

Most of these items are software controlled, and can be configured.

So one press of the STOP button, and leave the car.

(The doors remain locked until I open them)

In effect, it all resets for when I next depress the START button.

(STOP / START button is the same singular button)

However, one feature I do not like, is that all three 12v sockets remain powered !!

Fixes: 331

I was once a passenger in a van travelling back along the M18 to Sheffield late one Saturday night.

It was very thick fog with visibility no more than around 20 metres and we were doing 70mph...in the outside lane.

The driver said if there was any obstruction ahead like a broken down vehicle, it would be on the inside lane or hard shoulder.

He was very familiar with the road so knew where the correct slip road was.

Needless to say we arrived back in Sheffield alive.

I don't think that either our or any one else's fog lights were relevant that night

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 28

@Strat wrote:

The driver said if there was any obstruction ahead like a broken down vehicle, it would be on the inside lane or hard shoulder.

He was very familiar with the road so knew where the correct slip road was.

That is "Dangerous Driving"... 

70mph in fog ? ? ?    even if it was not "too foggy"... the long distance vision would be seriously affected, which would mean less time to react, ( slow down, change lanes) if necessary.

Any obstruction would be in the nearside lanes.... Oh yearh ?   so what if an accident had occurred in the nearside lanes, and one of the cars was spun out to the central barrier ?   or a lorry jack-knifed with the trailer across all three lanes  ? 

He was familiar with the road.... what ?  even in broad daylight, it is possible to over estimate your location, and more so in foggy conditions....

Next time it`s foggy, ... and you have to travel.... go with someone else....

Be safe.    SLOW DOWN... better to arrive alive ... than DEAD on time.. ..