cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fog Lamps

Fixes: 121

Fog Lamps

How effective or even important are standard fit front fog lamps?
The car (Zafira Exclusiv) I'm considering purchasing (new and a good deal financially) doesn't come with them as standard and, apparently, isn't an optional extra. As I only drive around 6/7000 miles a year I don't often meet with fog. In fact, I can't recall the last time so cannot remember how effective the fog lamps were on my Primera.
But, would not having them fitted be something that I would find lacking if I do meet with fog? I quick look around the 'net and I found a few sites indicating (excuse the pun) that standard fit aren't all that effective.
Just wondered what your thoughts on this are?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

26 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Fog Lamps

Are any lights fitted on the front any good in fog?
nadger
Rising Star

TD Astra Estate I had a few years ago had low slung fog lights as standard..
What I did find is that they were rather vulnerable to damage and needed replacing a couple of times to pass MOT.
Community Veteran

I've only had one car with front foglights.  In thick fog they tended to bounce the light back towards me and were of little value.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

For seeing where you're going in thick fog, I don't think any front lights are of much use.
However, as with rear fog lights, the point is that other people can see you.
Not young enough to know everything
shalom2010
Grafter

What really bugs me is the twits that drive for days after the fog has gone with their fog lights on. Hurts my eyes no end!!

Quote from: 4C
However, as with rear fog lights, the point is that other people can see you.

Then, surely, standard headlamps would suffice? Undecided
I found this.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I've always had cars with front foglights and never found them of any use whatsoever.
I say always - my current MK4 Astra doesn't have front foglights and I've not missed them in the slightest.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
[I found this.
Interesting read that, Mav and it coincides with my own experiences surprisingly well.
I do use my (factory fit) fog lights, in 2 situations:
1. Thick fog - as noted they're a waste of time at higher speed so in misty conditions achieve nothing
2. Bad weather of any sort on single-track windy roads (plenty near me) to help you see the road margins and obstacles immediately ahead when proceeding slowly with extra care.

Quote from: shalom2010
What really bugs me is the twits that drive for days after the fog has gone with their fog lights on. Hurts my eyes no end!!
Have to agree with you - and there should be no excuse for leaving them on.
Test driving the car Tuesday morning. If I like it then it should be delivered in time for the new 13 plate on 1st March. Nope, don't have Triskaidekaphobia Cool

Community Veteran

I've had factory fitted ones on a number of cars now and wouldn't be without them.
But, they are not intended to 'break' throught the fog, only to light the extremes and immediate foreground.
Where I live we have lots of narrow roads/lanes with single file traffic and fog lights can be really useful.
I agree with the thoughts about those that forget to switch them off. In fact, I do believe that they should be reset when the ignition is turned off!
Brake lights are another problem when in traffic. Why people stand on their brake pedal whilst waiting at traffic lights is something that drives me mad.
Please people, use the parking brake and stop dazzling folk.
Geoff,
York.
itsme
Grafter

With my car you have to drive with front fog lights on when you switch on the rear fog lights. Turning the highlights off automatically switches the rear fog lights to off but the front fog light switch remain in the on position so these will turn on the next time the headlights are switched on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've had three cars with front fog lights that are low down. I've only used them 3 - 4 times.
What I have found is that dipped / full beam reflects back at you. Foglights are lower down so doesn't reflect as much (but still does) but allows you to illuminate the road a bit better. You still can't see very far ahead but you can at least see the white line in the middle of the road and the edge of the road. It can be better in really thick fog to turn your headlights down to parking / position lights and just use the foggies instead. I wouldn't do that on a busy road but one where its really thick and you can't see far ahead of the car itself.
Like a few of you, I absolutely hate people who drive around with them on for the fun of it. It's very annoying on an unlit main A road when you have some prat coming at you the other way with full beam and foglights.. they'll considerately turn off the full beam (eventually after you've flashed them) but still leave the fog lights on. Everyone knows what foglights are, everyone knows the icons on the dashboard and everyone knows that admitting to not knowing is almost an admission of not being fit to drive. So why do people do it?
The few times I've used my foglights they've been turned off as soon as possible. I like having them but I feel guilty using them (weird or what?)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Rich
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
I agree with the thoughts about those that forget to switch them off. In fact, I do believe that they should be reset when the ignition is turned off!
Brake lights are another problem when in traffic. Why people stand on their brake pedal whilst waiting at traffic lights is something that drives me mad.
Please people, use the parking brake and stop dazzling folk.

Agree about the fog lights.  I think most Renaults already reset the fog lights once the ignition is switched off - ours definitely does.
We have to press the brake to get into gear (semi-auto - no clutch pedal).  In the past a woman (not sexist - the truth) drove into the back of me. er excuse - "Your brake lights went off, so I thought you were moving" Crazy
Richard.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Highway Code Rule 236
"You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves."
[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

Highway Code Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.