cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fn' cat!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Fn' cat!

Our cat, lovely though she is has, (as she is often wont to do) walked across the keyboard of SWMBO's Toshiba laptop (she likes to curl up and sleep on it as well) but this time she has pressed a combination of buttons that has locked on the Fn button. And I can't see how to unlock it, I've tried combinations of alt, ctrl, shift etc. etc. but nothing seems to change it.
Can you help please?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Fn' cat!

probably a vacuum cleaner job, bread crumbs under the key mixed in with cat fur and who know what
Community Veteran

Already tried that pierre thanks, not the problem sadly.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

If I may be allowed to back-track a bit:
The Fn button selects certain figures and graphics on a laptop that are usually available on a full size keyboard as direct keystokes, due to the limited size of a laptop keyboard, usually shown on their respective keys as a different colour or (as on my HP) in boxes. It works usually a bit like the "shift" key selecting the keys other option (or with the Fn the third option of selected keys)
It was noted on Mrs petlew's PC, as she was trying to input her unique numbers for her online banking, which includes a number of zero's; the other numbers were normal, the zero's were replaced with a star (asterisk: the Fn option on the zero key) had it been a case of the "shift-lock" being pressed and left on the zero would have been replaced by a close bracket - ) - and any way the other numbers would have been replaced by their "shifted" equivalents, but they weren't.
It does seem that the Fn key is the problem, but I cant see why, somehow its become locked on, pierre's suggestion of a foreign body is a good one, but not in this case, I've removed the key -not difficult with a Tosh- but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

snozboz
Grafter

I take it there isn't a Fn-lock button or key combination?  I've seen these on some laptops.
Fixes: 102

Sure it's not Num Lock Petlew? Num Lock on mine turns certain keys into a key pad.
Which * is both FN+0 or the 0 key with Num Lock on.
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and the U=4, I=5, o=6, P=-
Community Veteran

Thanks guy's,
@snozboz, If there is I can't find one. Fn is hardly mentioned at all in the Tosh "help" except to tell what its supposed to do, it has greater coverage in my HP, but no indication for this problem in either.
@adiewoo, I'll try that, as it happens "numlock" on both machines is selected by an Fn selection (the normal "scroll" key on my HP and F11 on the Tosh) so there's no conformity between between manufactures, however I believe if this had been selected (numlock) then a close bracket would be shown instead of a star.
I'm still leaning towards my cat having accidentally selected an unpublished combination of buttons.

Community Veteran

Many thanks adiewoo, the "numlock" was indeed the answer.
Problem solved, many thanks guys.
Edit: PS. pierre, you were right with those you mentioned (those you noted were along the top row of letters) but when you get to those on number keys and more especially those on "F" keys there's a lot of differences between them. I expect its more to do with the amount of room on a laptop keyboard available and the manufacturer's whim.

Community Veteran

And what Petlew failed to tell us, was that said cat is now featuring as a handbag somewhere on oxford street  Wink
Community Veteran

although not equivalent to your problem, petlew, when my laptop locked up in the past, i would shut down, disconnect from the mains, remove the battery then re-connect the mains to see if that fixed the issue.  usually it did.
Community Veteran

@Chemical Brother, I've threatened her a number of times that, she would make a great pair of fur lined gloves!! (er! the cat that is)
@artificer, Yup, that was the first thing I tried...it didn't...

pierre_pierre
Grafter

rewire the earth and live feed and your avatar and see if that have any affect Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Ah! pierre, that's not nice...