Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flying used to be fun...

itsme
Grafter

Re: Flying used to be fun...

I do have a big problem with airport security for the following reasons
1. No International Standards, for example if you have a laptop some airports will wait for you to remove it from the bag while others will require it to remain in the bag. If you get it wrong then you will hear a raised voice telling you not to do that.
2. Walk through scanners. To stop the scanners going off I tend to wear the same type of clothing and I never set the scanners off in other airports but in the UK it is a different matter. So after I set the scanner of 3 times in a row within a period of a month I asked the security person what I was wearing that set it off as I'm not that keen being patted down. Was informed that they go off randomly so I said in that case I will not bother emptying my pockets in future.
3. Belts. The trousers I wear have a very small belt with plastic buckles all other airports don't require it to be removed but not so in the UK. When I ask at the security counter why they want it to be removed the reply I got was 'It's obvious' No it's not as I would not be asking the question.
Having said that about belts the last time I flew from Stansted in January the posters did not specify belts to be removed but passengers were still taking belts and shoes off.
As we are approaching the ski season and when I do most of my flying I'm looking to see what little gems that security have in store for me this year and have to say not happy that I'm flying from Gatwick for the first time in 4 years after reading the original post.
Fixes: 238

Quote from: 4C
Maybe with your experience you could confirm or deny something I heard about marzipan - ie that a sniffer dog and/or a scanner could mistake it for Semtex. Urban myth?

Don't know about Semtex but isn't cyanide supposed to smell like almonds. I think it's an urban myth that arsenic does Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanb
Grafter

T'other way round. Almonds smell of Cyanide. Almonds have a high cyanide content. Edible Almonds have been cultivated over many centuries to reduce the Cyanide content to miniscule levels.
Makes you wonder what happened to the lucky people that had to try out each new crop!  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

I had a difficult time with security on my hand baggage just after they banned sharp objects.
After a really careful hand search they found the offending article - the scissors in a sewing kit I had picked up in a hotel which looked like this
Not the small scissor with the round ends.
After a long discussion amongst themselves the security team decided that they didn't pose a risk
Ellis
Grafter

Looks as though the old saying is still valid, "If you've time to spare, go by air".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I used to travel as a business airline passenger quite a lot.  My fundamental advice always was: "Take a good book. When delays happen as they inevitably do, sit back, relax and read."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sat in Business class  (BA) at Gatwick, fully loaded then they announced that one of the three computers was playing up and had to be changed , time they had done it we lost our slot and had to wait on the Runway, took off got to Milan just as our link plane was taking off.  another long wait for the next Alitalia down to Brindisi. At Midnight and a 90 minute trip to our hotel, we should have been there mid afternoon
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: whelpton
Sorry to detract from OT slightly here, I'm pretty sure we could all say the same thing about train travel as well. During the past few weeks I have been traveling around the country on train and have had nothing but constant ticket checking, reminders that my bags would be detonated if they left my grip for longer than three seconds and the inability to use public restrooms without a background credit check. All this and adding insult to injury by skyrocketing fares and crowded, smelly noisy and ageing commuter trains really makes me wonder why I never learned to drive.
Just my two pence into this topic, I refuse to travel by plane so my last memory of a airport was probably when I was six or seven.

On the contrary I love train travel and always have.The nicest journey I've ever had was a trip on a virgin train from London to Stoke-On-Trent. It was an incredible train journey and packed with passengers. It even had a buffet car too and those died out a decade or two ago. Admittedly thats not the usual train but I still enjoy a trip on a normal train although it must be said the newer trains aren't as nice as the old slam doors we used to have. Scruffy, tatty, dirty but no electric air-con humming above your head, no automatic lady telling you every next stop, no "blepp bleep bleeep" as the doors are closing, no bright lights everywhere etc. The slamdoors were bad for heating and pretty drafty but at 40-50 years old the seats were still incredibly comfy - even if they were stained and looked a bit grotty. The new plastic looking things have about 1/2 inch of foam inside. I'd be more comfy sitting on wood!
The old slam doors had something else going for them too which few seem to have noticed: reliability. They rarely broke down, rarely got stuck in the snow, they just used to have that electric hum and away they'd go. Now with these new garfangled plastic things network rail are spending £millions on heating strips for the 3rd rail, snow plow trains etc etc. I remember a train being cancelled a few years back because its onboard computer had thrown a wobbly. Didn't get that with the slammers either.
I know British Rail were far from perfect but I'd prefer them anyday over the current train companies and network rail all of whom seem completely incompetent at doing a good job but excellent at wasting money and putting up fares.
As far as security on the planes goes... I figured one easy way to solve that: Airlines are only allowed to carry people from their own countries. Thats half the terrorist threat solved as few radicals are going to want to blow up their own people or hijack one of their own planes full of their own people.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Oh Yeh, the London bombers had British passports
Community Veteran

And they were on the busses and tubes.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I was just replying to your previous comment
As far as security on the planes goes... I figured one easy way to solve that: Airlines are only allowed to carry people from their own countries. Thats half the terrorist threat solved as few radicals are going to want to blow up their own people or hijack one of their own planes full of their own people.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: itsme

3. Belts. The trousers I wear have a very small belt with plastic buckles all other airports don't require it to be removed but not so in the UK. When I ask at the security counter why they want it to be removed the reply I got was 'It's obvious' No it's not as I would not be asking the question.
Having said that about belts the last time I flew from Stansted in January the posters did not specify belts to be removed but passengers were still taking belts and shoes off.

My least favourite airport is Paris CDG! everybody has to have their belts and shoes off plus laptops and all electronics out of their bags. Then there is nowhere to sit or put anything down so everyone is hopping on one leg with all their possessions in a heap with their trousers showing a bum cleavage trying to put themselves together.
I also had three tins of baked beans confiscated which I was taking to Douala for a friend - The French thought they would explode (or they offended their culinary sensibilities )  Crazy  
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Much as I hate the security checks I'd much sooner they erred on the side of caution than take any risks.
I always trigger the alarms going through as I have a replacement hip.  They used to accept a card that stated this but now they won't.  Now you get patted down.  In the US they don't pat you down but ask you to stand in a large tube which takes an X-Ray which is much simpler.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I was just replying to your previous comment

Yes I'm well aware of that and as I said, the london bombers were on public transport systems such as busses and tubes. I'm still trying to fathom out the point you're trying to make pierre? - What do the London bombers have to do with aircraft hijackings and my idea? - They're completely unrelated.
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
plus laptops and all electronics out of their bags.

I had that at Stanstead a fw years ago and the stupid woman at security literally threw the laptop into a plastic box to go through the x-ray scanner. I was absolutely livid and really tore a strip off her. You don't just throw laptops do you - especially when they belong to other people. Anyway this stupid woman did and suffered the consequences as I complained they asked me to turn it on and ensure it was working - holding up the queue behind me (which I wasn't very happy about myself as the boarding time limit was fast approaching).