Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flying is safe, but landing....

Stewie
Grafter

Flying is safe, but landing....

Quote a BA flight memo ;-
The Landing Pilot is the Non-Handling Pilot until the 'decision altitude' call, when the Handling Non-Landing Pilot hands the handling to the Non-Handling Non-Landing Pilot, unless the latter calls 'go-around,' in which case the Handling Non-Landing pilot continues handling and the Non-Handling Landing Pilot continues non handling until the next call of 'land' or 'go-around' as appropriate. In view of recent confusions over these rules, it was deemed necessary to restate them clearly.
14 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Flying is safe, but landing....

Urh do what Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how safe is driving
N/A

Sounds an eminently sensible way to do things...
Fixes: 105

Off forum you're a dodgy consultant aren't James_H?  Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

Welllll, I work in IT, and I have been known to do the odd bit of consultancy. I also seek to employ 'smoke and mirror' tactics when proposing projects internally.
Just remember - if they know what you mean, you have to deliver what you say.
If you can leave them in any doubt at all, its always going to be easier to convince them you delivered more, faster and cheaper than promised. Wink
Fixes: 47

...a philosophy I have tried to live by since being thrust kicking and screaming into the frustrating world of IT support and administration.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

I reckon everybody in IT does similar - we know from far too many late nights that stuff can go a little pear shaped, hence always building in buffer zones in projects.
Promise 80% of what you expect to deliver.
Schedule 120% of the time you need to deliver the 80% + the other 20% you reckon you'll deliver.
Declare a budget of 120% of the market rate, safe in the knowledge that you can do if far cheaper than the market rate.
Then, deliver everything you promised and more, in less time, and for less money.
Everybody feels like a winner, and it'll make your next project proposal far more likely to be accepted.
Rinse and Repeat. (Whilst collecting choice feedback to quote in your CV/Covering letter/next interview Wink )

EDIT: Forgot to qualify - always disregard about 30% from whatever other people promise. They are either useless and will fail to deliver or an absolute star. If the former, you've accounted for it already. If the latter, they'll be using the method above and they'll overdeliver/overperform and you win big time whilst finding a very useful ally.
/Public Service Announcement brought to you by a cynical sod. Wink
Fixes: 105

Quote from: James_H
Schedule 120% of the time you need to deliver the 80% + the other 20% you reckon you'll deliver.

I'm regularly going for 150-200% now, been internal projects even though the spec has been signed off they want changes done within the quoted timescales..
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

Trade-off triangle is an excellent visual aid. Wink
You want more features?
Fine, but by increasing features, you must either increase the resource, or increase (extend) the schedule.
Great at demonstrating the relationship between the aspects of a project.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well I don`t think that triangle will get off the ground.... ! 
Never been keen on flying..... but when I do.... always try to get a seat near the back end.....
Haven`t heard of a plane crashing into a mountain backwards yet ! ! !  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nearly back on topic Gerry, what on earth were those others on about (did you see my link No 3)
N/A

Quote from: pierre_pierre
what on earth were those others on about?

We don't know either if its any comfort. Wink
Did check out your link Mr P - esp liked the comment that the Toyota owner "was not in the mood to give interviews".
Chuckled, and then grinned again when I followed your link this time round!
Fixes: 47

If it had been a Ford Ka it probably wouldn't have got up there in the first place Grin
Someone would have thrown a bucket of cold water over it...
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

I'm also going to have to stop mocking the chap at work who drives a Lexus 4x4 - it appears the wheels do still turn when they are not touching tarmac.
Perhaps the device that stops them working on wet grass should have some additional programming to stop the wheels working properly when they are trying to get traction on automotive paint.
[me=James_H]laughs at Lexus drivers, but only because he's jealous...[/me]