cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flying Scotsman on show at National Railway Museum

Steve
Pro

Flying Scotsman on show at National Railway Museum

The steam engine, the first to be officially recorded at 100mph, was bought for the nation in 2004
The Flying Scotsman steam locomotive has been unveiled after a five-year overhaul.
The steam engine, the first to be officially recorded at 100mph, was bought for the nation in 2004.
Since then it has been undergoing major restoration work at the National Railway Museum (NRM) in York where it is going on public display.
Further work is to be carried out later with the engine expected to return to service in the summer.
Rail enthusiast Jean Wright, who witnessed the unveiling, described it as a "wonderful experience".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-13573408
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Flying Scotsman on show at National Railway Museum

DAK why 'Scotsman' is in black livery rather than the traditional green with gold piping.
Fixes: 125

I remember going on trip between Kingswear and Paignton in the 1990's (93 I think) where the train was pulled by the Flying Scotsman.
Wonderful experience.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not sure what it is, perhaps a bit of nostalgia but I find steam trains & large steam engines that were used to drive machinery in the mills very interesting.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: journeys
why 'Scotsman' is in black livery rather than the traditional green with gold piping.

"The Flying Scotsman has been painted in the black livery used by LNER during World War II".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-13573408
I suppose it saves arguments about the correct shades of green!