cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flying High!

Community Veteran

Flying High!

It may soon be possible to use electronic devices at all times whilst flying on European airlines.
Flying High

Personally I  don't think this is a good move. We shall see.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Flying High!

I've never understood the problem with it myself.
Moons ago people used to claim that computers crashed and hospital life support equipment packed up when mobile phones were near. When was the last time anyone heard any of those?
IMO the biggest risk to the passengers is the roaming charges and loss of signal (they are afterall inside a big metal can that will reflect RF signals all over the place).
Health wise.. yes i agree.. not good. RF / EM being bounced around through hundreds of passengers at the same time... might as well go stand in front of a radar dish instead  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Would you want to be on a 8 hour flight with some idiot on his cellphone the whole time?
TORPC
Grafter

Or a hacker that is destined for them there promised vestal virgins in the afterlife EEK.....
Fixes: 125

Quote from: artmo
Would you want to be on a 8 hour flight with some idiot on his cellphone the whole time?

You can rest assured they won't be talking on their phones...

...they'll be shouting; partly above the noise of the engines and other passengers and partly to sound important.
With tough security and customs queues this will make flying even less enjoyable.
Nope, don't like the idea one bit Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

It's being left to individual airlines to decide how to do it and also if to do it.  The technology could be expensive to install.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I'm on the plane!!!  Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I believe you know my answer to that based on the RF / EM / Radar comments Wink
But no, I wouldn't. I could think of nothing worse to be honest. Mobiles have a time and a place but crowded places where they can annoy others is not one of them!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

One thing worse - unruly children on a cellphone for 8 hours Sad
Wonder if like the railways use to have, the airlines will establish "quite zones" . Can see Ryan Air charging extra for a no-mobiles, no children section.

Problem is you're all stuck in the same 'tube' for up to hours at a time so not sure how quiet zones could work.
May they could ask those who wish to make calls to 'pop outside' where reception would be noticeably better  Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I read somewhere about a flights business class that already allow phone use. But only for texting and email reading etc. No voice calls.
I think that's the best compromise.
Community Veteran

@Mav,  Grin That was my suggestion to a woman on a plane who was unable/unwilling to control her children, 'Would they like to go outside to play?' Grin
itsme
Grafter

Don't know what plane other posters fly on but you lucky to hear the person seating 2 seats away in the same row so the chancing hearing someone on the phone in the row in front or behind is very slim.
Also what's the difference between someone on the phone or 2 people having a conversation?  I believe why people get irritated is they can only hear one side of the conversation.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It's because the quality of the conversation is so inane.

Quote from: itsme
I believe why people get irritated is they can only hear one side of the conversation.
Nope; it's that they feel it necessary to shout loud enough so all around know they are on an important call to the boss, mum, bf, gf, best friend ...
"I'M ON THE PLANE NOW... WE'RE MOVING NOW... WE'RE IN THE AIR NOW... THERE'S CLOUDS UP 'ERE... THERE'S AN ANGRY PERSON COMING TOWAR..."  Cheesy