cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flying Ants

randpwar
Grafter

Flying Ants

A re-occurring  thread each year.......both front and back gardens full of the things this afternoon
8 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Flying Ants

we had them about two weeks ago here in Essex and the swifts gulls and starlings were having a good feed
there is an article about them in the current RSPB magaxine saying look out in August
Community Veteran

Had an early lot of them a few weeks back coming up in my little greenhouse.
I only noticed because of the sparrows getting stuck inside flapping up and down the glass.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nothing here except few flies even gooseberry sawfly, black fly and greenfly are scarce, but that could be due to the warbler species(?)  that is forever lurking in the fruit garden.
Only problem is something nipping the leaves off the beetroot and broccoli just above ground level, as if with a pair of scissors (it's not rabbits!)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the first sign here was the starlings digging into the lawns where the colonies were, we went up to the local Factory outlet and when we got out of the car they were every where, a right pain.
The normal rule is that all the shops have their doors open, but not that day  that was on the 11th July.  They seemed to have swarmed ll over our town on that day.
I wonder how they communicate from one colony to another?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Seen 3 or 4 here today too - nice to see them again.. certainly a welcome site compared to the hornets.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I wonder how they communicate from one colony to another?

I think they pick a warm day at about this time of the year where the atmospheric conditions are about right ie quite warm with light wind for the flying ants to be able to take of as controlled flying doesn’t appear to be a strong point
Noticed four or five wasps flying very low over the swarm and occasionally picking off the larger ants and carrying them off
community
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Seen 3 or 4 here today too - nice to see them again.. certainly a welcome site compared to the hornets.

I think perhaps you might not have welcomed them so readily if you had experienced our trauma a couple of years ago...
Middle of July, came back from a holiday to find that a colony of flying ants had marched up the central heating tubes under the floorboards
and were having a gay old time in our front bedroom..... there must have been hundreds of them, they were everywhere, even in the wardrobes and into our clothes.
Needless to say we have since kept a watchful eye for them and zapped as many as we could with the ant powder........good riddance!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Sorry to hear about that! They've never really worried me much to be honest. Once place i worked years ago was infested with ants, my colleagues used to moan about it every day and it just didn't bother me. I used to play with them as a kid so thats probably got something to do with it.
Spiders are a different story... yuck
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!