cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flu

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Flu

Ok the subject heading is misleading it's not really flu but there has clearly been something nasty doing the rounds this Christmas (possibly a few things) but I am thinking about those flu like symptoms.

swmbo had it over christmas along with a few other folks we know, yet I have been ok, we seem to take it in turn around the christmas/new year period, I get it one year & swmbo the following year so we must have different immune systems.

Trust everybody else on the forum has been ok.

I have a theory it's best to keep contact with crowds as low as possible when illness is going around but that might just be a myth on my part.

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Flu

I agree.... keep away from crowds..... or be anti-social, and they will keep away from you !

An apple a day, keeps the doctor away..... 

Why not an onion?   ( or garlic )  Cry

That`ll keep everyone away ! !  Cheesy

Fixes: 124

Some people just sneeze and cough openly without covering their mouth or nose using a handkerchief or hand which can certainly help to spread a cold or flu virusCrazy2

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I have a lightweight cold at the moment. Nothing serious, just sniffles and the occasional cough.

I sneeze into a tissue when on the forum.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Memo to self..... make sure when Strat is "on line" on the forum, to watch tv or something else ! ! ..

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Mav Ain't that the truth, some even cough straight in your face.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I managed to catch whooping cough last August from somewhere. Never had it before and never vaccinated so got the full blown variety! Not to be recommended especially in one's 70s. Symptoms are still there but much less than they were fortunately. They call it the 100 day cough, not without good reason! Sad

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

I read somewhere that one thing about getting old is that the longer you live the more strains of cold viruses your body gets immune to,so I guess its not all bad Smiley

Community Veteran

Fortunately my PC has anti-virus software. It will deal with Strat sniffles coming down the line.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've avoided going out to anywhere other than tesco (and even then it was 7am, so nobody about but the staff and a handful of other patrons), I once made the error of going off to Durham on the 27th (back in 2012) and caught some typhoid mary's flu virus and suffered for most of January 2013 with it, since then I've decided to screw that, I'm being a January Hermit... Crazy

Fixes: 124

I do think summer colds/flu are the worst, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

After last year getting every flu and illness going round I decided this year to get a flu jab back in October. Coming up to 3 months and not a single sniffle! Couldn't recommend enough! Smiley

Ben Devine
 Plusnet Help Team
Minivanman
Hero

Several strains out there, and I think that jab just covers you for the most common ones?

Had the jab as well and was hit by some chesty sicky coughy cold or something about a week later and was poorly for about three weeks. Still recommend having it though.   Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Yes, it's true that the vaccine is made according to which strains are thought likely to be affecting us the coming winter, and sometimes the scientists get it wrong.

@Minivanman  The flu jab is usually recommended for people over a certain age, and those with various health problems incl. of course a compromised immune system.  Since quite a few people get mild flu symptoms after having the jab, many people who are otherwise healthy, prefer not to bother, i.e. why give yourself mild flu every year when you are only likely to get the real thing every few years.

2u2me
Aspiring Pro