cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flu

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Flu

Ok it's not real Flu otherwise I would not be able to get out of bed but  it's some sort of bug or virus that has affected a number of people I know including me.
Usual symptoms, fever,head cold, chesty cough,sore throat etc
Anyone else currently suffering from anything like this ?
Yes, had the Flu jab.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Flu

Quote from: gleneagles
Yes, had the Flu jab.

Don't think the NHS has ever suggested the Flu jab would stop you getting flu, only that it would reduce the severity of the symptoms.
Consider what it would have been like if you hadn't had the jab.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Er, I think that's the point of immunisation, to make you resistant to infection so that you don't develop the disease.
Your own immune system, having been "pre-warned", recognises the "nasties" and deals with them promptly and effectively.
Other treatments (Tamiflu springs to mind, possibly erroneously) are indeed aimed at reducing the severity of symptoms and others (antibiotics for microbial infections) at directly intervening to do the body's work faster in a different way.
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, I had the same problem and it wouldn't clear up. Went to my doctor and he diagnosed bronchitis and put me on an antibiotic. They worked to a degree but my breathing was poor. I emailed my doctor who changed the antibiotic and the new one worked. Have 2 days left to finish the course.
Community Veteran

I've been ill since going back to college in September and a full time job. I've only had a few days when I've felt well.
The amount of bugs and viruses going round at college are astronomical.
Community Veteran

I have had this too, going into the third week. The after effects are horrible.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ahaaargh..... AVAST anti-virus must be working .... cos I ain`t got it...  ! !  Cheesy
(p.s.  what Anti-virus did you expect me to use  ? ? ?  ) 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ugh - I felt I had to use an alcohol wipe on my screen and keyboard to stop the virus coming through at me.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
(p.s.   what Anti-virus did you expect me to use  ? ? ?   ) 

A Pirate copy of Norton? Grin
Community Veteran

Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

No just take some parrot_cetamol  Grin Grin Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm currently dieing from 'man-flu'; I have a nasty 'touch of the sniffles'.
I prefer to just try to get on with things (though she still expects me to fetch a cup of tea on demand).
The flu jab will protect against the worst (specific, current) strains but does not necesarily work against all flu (and certainly not colds).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
Ahaaargh..... AVAST anti-virus must be working .... cos I ain`t got it...  ! !  Cheesy
(p.s.   what Anti-virus did you expect me to use  ? ? ?   ) 

Must be the Pirate influenz - eh?  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Hopefully 'shutter' won't have any trouble remembering the typical daily dose of cold remedy (four doses of two tablets)
as "Captain Flint" (John Long Silver's parrot) would remind him saying -  "Pieces of eight !" ... "Pieces of eight !"
Cheesy
Community Veteran

True... !  Cheesy