cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flu jab

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Flu jab

Just being for the annual flu jab, according to some press article I read the Flu is going to be very bad this year but they say that every year, perhaps to encourage more people to go.

I wonder what they base these predictions on ? And how do they know the particular strain of flu that is going to be very bad ?

It would not be the first time that people got flu after having the jab only to be told that particular strain was not included in the jab..

Yes the correct words are injection and inoculation but who was it said, ' Why use a long word when a shorter word will do' ?

Smiley

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Flu jab

"They" don't always get the right strain of virus in the Flu jab. There's quite a good article here.

I rarely have the jab, because I found I felt unwell each time after the jab back when I used to indulge.  GPs often get paid extra for each jab so you wonder about the true incentive.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@AlaricAdair

Thanks for the link, interesting reading.

I like the bit which says ' it reduces the time people are off work'

Perhaps that the real reason it's given along with reduced visits to the GP.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:

according to some press article I read the Flu is going to be very bad this year but they say that every year

Would it be the same publication that predicts "the worst winter on record" every year too? Funny

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I just got my invitation to attend the Surgery for mine

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I've given up going to the surgery flu clinic for the last 2 years. I now make an appointment at the local Boots and get it done there. Much more convenient and you still get a free jab if you're entitled.

Community Veteran

Medics get paid an additional £9.14 per flu jab given.  Practice Nurses are paid about £30,000 gross per annum.

Community Veteran

We look to the winter experience in Australia to determine the 'mix' of the vaccine used here. We can also predict the severity of flu we are likely to get here. Australia has had a bad winter with flu so it is predicted we will follow a similar pattern.

Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

Medics get paid an additional £9.14 per flu jab given.  Practice Nurses are paid about £30,000 gross per annum.

That's true but most Practice Nurses are employed by the NHS whereas GP's have some system they get paid for work done, or to be more accurate get paid to ensure the work is done by others, that is not to suggest they do not actually do any work themselves indeed diagnosis and prescribing is the main form of work they do.

I guess you could compare it to a manager on a good salary who also gets a bonus fo meeting targets or put another way ensuring his or her staff do the actual work to meet those target.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

...That's true but most Practice Nurses are employed by the NHS...

Usually the Practice Nurse is employed and paid by the GP Practice. Most GP practices are private Partnerships who receive fees from the NHS for providing services to a registered list of patients. In some cases the local medical provisioning service will provide additional funding to the GP Practice to employ more staff.

So if a Practice Nurse gives 15 Flu injections in an hour the GP Practice would claim an additional £137 from the NHS. The Practice Nurse role is already funded as above.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

All it takes is for someone from a remote part of the world to come to Europe with a strain that is very unlike anything our immune system has encountered before and we are well and truly in trouble, vaccine or not.  Having said that, there are certain categories of people who should have the jab.

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

I get offered one every year in the job im in, but i dont need it and ive never been ill yet Wink

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
PowerLee
Rising Star

Had my invitation for a flu jab via text message this afternoon - it seems my local GP practice have stopped sending the letters out if they have your mobile number on record. 

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Mines scheduled at the chemists' for Friday. I didn't use to have them until my mum had a stroke and it mucked her immune system up. Now, as a registered carer, I get them free,

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:

I like the bit which says ' it reduces the time people are off work'

True, my previous companies offered it, and no prizes for guessing why.