cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flu jab and its effect.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Flu jab and its effect.

I've recently had my first flu jab (in September). When I was given it , I was told in no uncertain terms that "this can't give you flu or anything like it. So if you get anything you had it already!"
I never get colds or sore throats or anything like it, BUT, guess what, ten days after the injection I went down with the most horrendous throat and chest infection I've ever had in my life, and I'm still trying to get rid of it. Apparently flu has an incubation period of about three days, so I couldn't have already had it; it must have been either a reaction, or something I picked up afterwards which I wasn't protected against.
I recently read that flu jabs have only been taken up by around 50% of those eligible for them. So I wonder why. Could it be that plenty of people have had a bad experience and decided not to repeat it? It seems strange to me that the medics go out of their way to emphasise that it can't give you flu - there must have been plenty of people who have said it did for them to feel that saying it is even necessary!
Anyone else had a bad experience with it?
37 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Flu jab and its effect.

I've never had a flu jab, I catch colds etc. but usually prefer to 'ignore it and just get on with things', my wife is the opposite, the slightest 'touch of the sniffles' and she's in bed for a week (I may be exagerating slightly) but since she started having the flu jab a few years ago she definitely gets 'ill' less often.
Most people DO say that they experience some symptoms after a flu jab but don't forget they tend to give them just when cold/flu season it starting to ramp up so many would catch something anyway.
Yuo can, apparently, catch a cold by touching something that someone else (with the virus) has touched (money, door handles, letters posted to you, almost anything that anyone has touched in the past couple of days or so) so it's very difficult to avoid these viruses altogether.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

As a diabetic, I get these every year. This years was on Monday (I had to cancel my last appointment as my wife gave me a cold I only just got rid of).
I sometimes get a cold type after them but that is it. Nothing this year (YET).
I can only assume that you got the cold/infection from something else. There has been a sickness/diarrhea bug doing the rounds up here, but even though my wife had it (during her cold  Lips are sealed) I managed to avoid it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've had a flu jab regularly each winter for several years, never yet (touch wood) had any side effects, never yet had flu.
This year within a couple of days of the flu-jab SWMBO caught a bad cold (sore throat, headache, sneezing). a-oh I thought here comes a cold, but no cold.
Quote from: w23
You can, apparently, catch a cold by touching something that someone else (with the virus) has touched (money, door handles, letters posted to you, almost anything that anyone has touched in the past couple of days or so) so it's very difficult to avoid these viruses altogether.

MIL (very susceptible to colds) now has a regular regime of washing her hands with an antiseptic wipe/liquid, almost to the point of paranoia, seems to work for her.

Quote from: nozzer
I've recently had my first flu jab (in September).

Did you have the Pneumonia jab at the same time (it's usually with your first flu jab)
nadger
Rising Star

Had annual flu jab for a great many years and never had a reaction. Doesn't stop one getting flu as I found out at Xmas about ten years ago - it is, however, supposed to reduce severity of infection.
Also had one off pneumonia jab a few years ago.
kdoug007
Grafter

why  folk    have a  flu    jab IS  BEYOND ME...
  eat  well....  ware  warm  clothes    JOB  DONE...   
Community Veteran

Quote from: kdoug007

That may work for you, but I don't want to take the risk. If I stop eating - a side effect of flu is loss of appetite - then I could slip into a coma when my blood sugar drops low enough. Also if you work in a public environment (like my wife) then you are exposed to people who have the illness and your risk of contracting it is higher - mind you she is afraid of needles/blood so hasn't had a jag.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Hairy
Quote from: kdoug007

- mind you she is afraid of needles/blood so hasn't had a jag.

I`ve never had a jag, either.... could never afford one... now can`t afford to run one !  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I had my flu jab about 2 weeks ago and didn't suffer any side effects.  I am presently feeling as if I have a cold coming on but I think that is par for the course at this time of year.
Fixes: 47

I've never had anything in the way of flu jabs for as far back as I can remember.
I'm not frightened of needles as I was a regular blood donor for years.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

I was of the understanding that the flu jab only immunizes you against the most common/prevailant forms of flu as assessed by the WHO. I could be wrong, though.
Also, as the jab is inserting the bacteria you may end up with some cold/flu symptoms soon after receiving it while your body makes the relevant antibodies.
A friend recently told me that after years of having the flu jab yet still getting bad colds and flu he isn't going to bother this year.
I have never had the jab and possibly never will. never say never, eh...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

When I was at work I used to get flu almost every year. The pains of working in an open plan office with air conditioning!
I usually had to take 3 weeks sick leave to get over it.  Angry
Since finishing work I've never had flu again!  Smiley
Now, because of my advancing years, I get my flu jab every year. Prevention is better than cure!
Having already had pneumonia & pleurisy I didn't have that particular jab.
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

@Mav, you are right. The makeup of the flu vaccine changes every year to reflect the strains of flu the WHO predict will be prevalent. They can of course get it wrong. Once given they say it takes 3 days for the vaccine to work.
A lot of the time people complain about getting flu they are incorrect and simply have a cold.  The flu jab doesn't prevent colds AFAIK. 
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
I`ve never had a jag, either.... could never afford one... now can`t afford to run one !  Roll eyes

Well I get mine free as I have a chronic illness  Cry (Diabetes counts as one)
But Tesco do them for £10 in Scotland not sure about elsewhere. The saving in cold relief tablets, etc could make it economically viable.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: artmo
A lot of the time people complain about getting flu they are incorrect and simply have a cold.  The flu jab doesn't prevent colds AFAIK. 

If you really have the flu it's nigh on impossible to even get out of bed. The flu is often used as a catch all when you have too many symptoms to think about Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still