cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flu Season

Community Veteran

Flu Season

I have a flu jab every year and it's getting to that time of year again.  Do they work? I think so. Over the years I've had colds but not flu.
Before I came away appointments were being made by my doctors' surgery so I will book up for one when I return.
Do you have a flu jab?
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Flu Season

as usual - declined
Never had flu since school days despite many years travelling the world including the far east - Famous last words  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 47

Never had one but I have a cold at the moment.
I believe flu is more debilitating but I wouldn't know for sure.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 122

I haven't had a cold for many years or the flu for even longer. I've never had a jab and doubt I ever will.
The missus is just recovering from a bad dose of flu which affected her most of last week and she's still feeling a bit rough even now Sad
Lot's of people say they have the flu when it's really a heavy cold. With flu it's nigh on impossible to even get out of bed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

That's true Mav, a cold and flu are often confused Undecided
Community Veteran

not if you have had proper flu they aren't
I still remember the effect of Asian Flu when I was 16
PowerLee
Rising Star

My GP will be writing to me shortly with my yearly flu jab session times.
Was really well organized last year, they had a different group of nurses doing the flu jab sessions & it wasn't the usual long winded cock up that people using the GP surgery where used to / expecting.
Fixes: 47

Doctors writing to patients? Shocked
Does that really happen?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

mine does - well the practice does with a list of dates and times for the vaccination
Fixes: 122

To be honest after having both scarlatina and glandular fever at the same time back in the mid-eighties flu is a walk in the park for me Wink
My GP at the time kept insisting I just had a cold and I struggled into work for a while till I collapsed getting out of bed one morning and finally got some blood tests done.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Oldjim
not if you have had flu they aren't

+1
I have suffered many of the different versions:
Cold
Head Cold (currently suffering)
Man Flu
Flu
Chest infections
There's definitely a difference between a cold and flu. I've had bad colds, I've had flu and flu really knocks you out. Bad colds however can be just as evil - especially if you're an outdoor worker becase your body becomes run down and struggles to fight the thing off and then you find yourself confusing the two. I also struggle to tell the difference sometimes - if i get a bad cold / flu i end up with lungs absolutely full of phlegm and when i say full i mean literally overflowing with the stuff. It's been a problem ever since i was a kid - i used to struggle to breathe and i only cope now because i cough it up and get it out. It does however leave me feeling physically exhausted. That said since i've stopped working outdoors, i've barely suffered with it once. I've had one semi bad cold in the last 3 years yet when working outdoors i'd get it two or three times a year as would some of my colleagues.
Oddly despite apparently not being in an at risk category, I get sent an offer for a free flu jab every year from my doctors. They refuse to tell me why this is and always say they'll remove me from the list and then the next year i get invited again - and we go round in circles with the surgery saying there is no particular reason for it, they'll remove me and then again the next year it starts all over again  Crazy
Oddly my parent used to get this same thing too.. and they turned out to have some nasty health in later life which was genetic so clearly the big super NHS computer DOES know things that the NHS don't want to tell people about their health. Something sinister about that indicates that they have been gathering and collecting peoples health data for years - unofficially. Now i sound like nanotm  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@Oldjim, when I said people get a cold and flu confused I meant the patient and not the doctor. Often when an individual says they have flu it is no more than a cold.
At my surgery the flu jab timetable is on the website so appointments can be made easily online.
@7Up, doctors are obliged to notify the NHS of certain conditions. This allows them to monitor what is happening in the community and to take action accordingly.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

nothing unofficial about it, they have it quite openly written into the NHS bills every time they get revamped, "collate health data to better provide future services and predict epidemic indicators" its how they predict the severity of any given strain of disease's effects on the population as a whole (complete with predicted death counts etc etc)
and the recent change to monthly data trawls was openly indicated and people were told to "opt out" if they wanted to (except it appears the opt out didn't work as intended)
back on topic I get a flu jab every year, although I have to say that compared to anthrax swine flu was a walk in the park (got it the year before they produced vaccines) but I wouldn't dismiss the annual jab as even though I generally get a different strain of flu at some point in the winter I'm still able to function to some degree (although that could be down to the daily intake of medication), the difference for me between a cold and flue is the burning sensation in all the joints  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
@7Up, doctors are obliged to notify the NHS of certain conditions. This allows them to monitor what is happening in the community and to take action accordingly.

Yes I'm aware of that however its when the Doctors / NHS don't tell you about things they know about your health which is the worrying issue. Whats to you you don't have X wrong with you, they don't tell you (for whatever reason suits them) but then continue sending flu vaccination reminders? - Then tell you there is no reason for it.
Thats what I'm pointing at. They say there is no reason for me to be invited to for the vaccination as i'm not at risk yet apparently they seem to know something about my health that they don't want to tell me. That is not right.. is it?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

You have a right to see your records. Make an appointment and view them. This should put your mind at rest.