cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flu Jabs

nadger
Rising Star

Flu Jabs

It's that time of year when SWMBO stops talking to me - we had jabs this morning and I'd booked her in as well  Sad
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Flu Jabs

and I, as usual, will decline.
As i haven't had flu since I was about 14 (a really really long time ago  Embarrassed ) and since that time I have travelled all over the world including multiple trips to China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, etc. I reckon I have an inbuilt resistance to all varieties of flu, Asian included, and I don't need it.
Fixes: 47

Years ago my wife booked me into a local hospital on two separate occasions for procedures the details of which I shall not go into.
Suffice to say they generally bring tears to men's eyes when discussed Embarrassed
My Daughter usually presses me to have a flu jab around this time declaring me an old man and in need of extra protection.
I manage to decline and avoid.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

OK guys - maybe your don't have prostate cancer as i do - but i urge you to watch this video - it applies to everyone
And for the ladies also an interesting discussion on HPV vaccine to prevent cervical and head and neck cancers.
http://askdrmyers.wordpress.com/
labelled vaccines and insanity !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Being in one of the "high risk" groups I have just had mine  Smiley
Last year my xyl had a bad dose of flu and all I had was a slight cold  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I have a flu jab every year and will be booking in for mine when I get home.  I think it's a good idea.
Community Veteran

http://www.bmj.com/content/331/7529/1412.full for an alternative look at the figure of 40,000 to 60,000 deaths per year from flu as stated in the video
A bit more digging
http://www.straightstatistics.org/article/flu-deaths-triumph-statistics-not-virology
Community Veteran

Interesting articles Jim.  Makes you think doesn't it?  If I remember rightly I was given a pneumonia jab a few years back at the same time I had the flu one Undecided
Community Veteran

At first glance a pneumonia jab makes more sense given that a large proportion of the deaths from or associated with flu are actually from pneumonia
This is also interesting http://www.nhs.uk//Tools/Pages/NHSAtlasofrisk.aspx
Where, for my age group (65-84) the deaths from respiratory disease is third after heart and cancer at 14.2% or 15,800 deaths but breaking that down the section which includes flu totals 30.2% 4770 total but that includes pneumonia, influenza, bronchitis and bronchiolitis. It appears that the non flu ones are more prevalent if you smoke
Community Veteran

With all this evidence I'm surprised that the NHS still go to great lengths to promote flu jabs when pneumonia may be a better one to give.  GPs also get extra payments for giving flu jabs.
nadger
Rising Star

I had pneumonia jab a few years ago and twisted SWMBO's arm to have one last year - as I understand it the jab is a one off and nurse today checked that we'd had ours.
As has been pointed out a lot of elderly deaths are due to pneumonia being a complication.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

For things like Flu and pneumonia the GP Practice is paid extra money (for certain age groups) per injection. That money reaches the pockets of the partners.
I'd not take the jabs unless I was at risk through a pre-existing medical/physical condition. I found in the past that whenever I had a flu jab I'd go down with a chest infection within a couple of weeks.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you only have one pneumonia jab, it lasts for life
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was surprised to get a letter inviting me to have one last year (Had a few health probs and some of the family too). Spoke to the Dr who assured me I wasn't at risk of anything (and admitted it was his job to keep me calm and not worry me). He said the letter was a mistake and he'd get me taken off the list.
Today I got another one again exaplaining the at risk groups and inviting me for a jab Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

My wife has the flu jab every year and I don't bother, yet she has ended up with cold like symptoms on a few occasions whereas I have been ok.
I avoid using the word 'Flu' as many people who end up with a high temperature and headache assume they have flu but if you really get flu then you know about it. 15 years ago we got back from a holiday in Spain and both got real flu, I was so bad I could hardly stand up and have never been as ill in my life, before or since so real Flu can be a killer.