Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flu 2018

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Flu 2018

Popped into Argos this morning at 9am, to avoid "hordes" of infected bug ridden people......

It was empty of shoppers, as I hoped, but the woman behind the fast track counter was so obviously streaming a very bad cold, red eyes, snotty nose, sneezing.

I didn't get closer than 6 feet, and kept on the surgical gloves I had purposely worn.

Having prepaid, there was no need for cash nor debit card, I didn't accept the receipt with order details on, it was placed on the counter.

The item was a single duvet, well wrapped in plastic.

When I got home, the wrapping received a thorough wiping over with anti-bac wipes, then the wrapping disposed of, still with gloves on.

Why on earth did the staff member turn up for work with such an obvious cold, and why was she allowed to serve customers ?

The Manager, predictably was unavailable.

If she had Flu, would anything have been different, probably not.

Tesco food shopping, we had a large home delivery a few days ago, stocking up, heavy Snow forecast, again everything was anti-bac wiped.

And no need to mingle....

Had to pop in yesterday for wrapped bread, 6am to avoid potential "hordes" of infected bug ridden people...... kept a 6 feet distance from till cashier, again a thorough wipe down, wearing gloves.

The bread wrappers, not the cashier !!!

OTT ? perhaps, but far more preferable to being infected with Flu from some other less particular individual.

The symptoms appear to be horrendous, possibly leading to Death..

Better safe than sorry.

I have a Hospital Appointment Monday, for an annual checkup Bone Scan....

Radioactive Trace injection, then a 3 hour wait before scan.

Masked & Gloved I will be.

No doubt others taking similar precautions, it's just not. worth the risk

I think the safest way of waiting the 3 hours will be in the car, hence the single duvet if needs be.

Also this morning, I discovered a large pump action Hospital Grade anti-bac gel in a local shop, taking that too, though these days Hospitals tend to have same in dispensers scattered around.

Have you taken any specific precautions ?

41 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 34

Re: Flu 2018

Having read this post I've wiped down both the screen and the keyboard, just in case.

But I agree the woman should not have been at work. Not only is she potentially infecting customers but also other members of staff, who in turn will end up being either off or coming to work infecting people so the cycle continues. Best to hibernate for a few days as soon as the symptoms show that way it minimises the possibilities of contagion.

Fixes: 135

Runny nose here but that's normal for me in Winter.

People get a bad cold and just grin and bear it, much to the disadvantage of those they come into contact with.

PS I have never had a flu jab.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran

Infinity wrote:
Why on earth did the staff member turn up for work with such an obvious cold, and why was she allowed to serve customers ?

"You'll do as you're told or you get sacked" probably...

As for precautions, nah, just a stock of snotrags in my rucksack, wash my hands when I use the bog at college, and if I catch anything, I have plenty of garlicky food recipes to play with to beat the bugs, as garlic is a great defence against bugs & viruses... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

It's a difficult one. Is it just a minor cold or sniffle, or something worse?

I think I've had flu only once, and I remember feeling so bad I didn't even want to get out of bed.

But yes given the symptoms the OP described the person should have stayed at home.

It's difficult if you have to be in a closed off environment with people, such as a bus or if I need to get a train (especially in rush hour) to Central London from here. You don't know who has what and can't easily escape.

I remember when I caught Chicken Pox. Felt rough initially then the rash broke out. Once I did I felt fine, but I did not look it at all. Once it started to clear I went to work on the Monday, and was called in by manager and sent home for another week. Reason was one of the employees wife's was pregnant and didn't want me to spread it to him and then her.

That was fair enough, he was only concerned as I believe Chicken Pox is very very bad news for expectant women.

Can't remember what year but I was due to go to a PlusNet Open Day and obviously I couldn't make it because of it. At least I went to the one the following year.

Typical though when you make plans you get ill. Roll eyes

Community Veteran

I last had flu in 2003, lost a few days because of it (as in slept/was delirious for those days and don't remember them), since then it's been the occasional cold and the odd chest infection here and there, which makes me think how over-the-top people get with "avoiding bugs", yet I've rarely suffered with them, must be the garlic... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@twocvbloke

Garlic, that's the answer, eat enough of the stuff and no one will come anywhere near you.

Whilst I fully agree with the point about anyone with flu staying off work, if you get it badly enough you would not be able to work, there are some jobs such as the health service where some staff fully aware that their colleagues are already struggling to maintain a service feel 'guilty' about taking time off as the same amount of work has to be done by even less staff.

To go into work with flu is wrong but logic does not always apply.

To avoid flu keep away from everybody for a few months, unfortunately that's impossible for most of us.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

I did have a current Flu jab late last year.

So sort of protected anyway.

And....

In a weeks time yet another annual scan, this time an MRI

(All taken care of with Key Person Insurance)

The MRI is in a mobile unit, not far away, located in the centre of  large car park, unused daytime, so the only people I will come into contact with will be the Scanner operators.

Community Veteran

Yes when I had (what I think was Flu), I wouldn't have been able to work.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether you should come into the office. On the one hand you don't want to upset your employer by taking time off, but on the other not coming in is showing consideration for them and your co-workers.

At least with an IT company - say PlusNet. If I were in a IT role there, and felt unwell I would ask my manager to work from home if I felt well enough.

But of course some careers you can't do that - many you have to be physically present to be able to do your job.

Fixes: 135

When employed as a welder for a few years I found it difficult to work from home.

When I got into IT I did have the ability to work from home or even the other side of the planet on one occasion.

However I did prefer to 'work through it' as they say.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran

It gets even more difficult if you're self employed. I know of someone who isn't but gets no sick pay.

So if you don't come in for a day, for whatever reason you lose a day's money. My view is that makes people who are ill reluctant to stay off work when maybe they shouldn't be there anyway.

The woman I guess was paid hourly, and would have lost money had she not attended work. So she went to work anyway to not lose money.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

No Flu jab(s), not anti-bac'd anything, I sit out in all weathers fishing (even in snow, frost etc.) and not a sniffle (not bad for a 64 year old). I'm beginning to think that it's down to how each individual's body copes with, or handles bacteria.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

@twocvbloke

Garlic, that's the answer, eat enough of the stuff and no one will come anywhere near you.

And in my case, it ain't the normal, wonderfully fragrant smell the garlic itself releases, it's the effect on my digestion that keeps people away from me... Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Mook wrote:

Having read this post I've wiped down both the screen and the keyboard, just in case.

I'm okay. My PC has anti-virus software installed.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Yes that's true @Pete11

I remember when my Chicken Pox came out. I felt a bit rough for a few days but not badly ill (if you know what I mean, sure we've all had those days).

Then the rash broke out and only then I realised something was wrong. Went to Docs and they said they can't do anything, you just have to just sit it out. Couldn't go to work, didn't want to go out (cos I looked terrible). So sat indoors bored for a week, but when the rash came out I felt fine - but I certainly didn't look it.

I think I did some self diagnosis on Wikipedia et al, at the time. Doc confirmed it was that. So I was right. Then I read it is contagious, but more so before the rash breaks out.

Pretty nasty, and for women who may be expecting it can harm the baby. They did this at my school, but the girls got the Rubella vaccine. Now I would recommend any women who hasn't had it to do so.

Otherwise I (or anyone else) could have gone out in public feeling a bit rough and think nothing of it (which I did), and passing it on to a pregnant woman.

Sorry not a cheerful thread, I've managed to drag it down again. Cheerful as ever and gone OT from the Flu. Sorry mods but important people know. Here's a Wink to liven my post up.

EDIT: @AlaricAdair, that is a very bad joke, but a good one. Wished I thought of that. Tongue