cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floods in Sheffield ?

Community Veteran

Floods in Sheffield ?

Hope you Plusnetters aren't badly affected by the floods - are they bad ?
44 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Floods in Sheffield ?

Ah it'll only be about an inch  Wink
It's chucking it down here too... shame for the 38,000 take that fans stood in it down the road  Grin
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Bad enough. Broken roads, fountains where manhole covers used to be and general closures of roads by police. This is what I experienced on my way home this evening.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
James
Grafter

Not flooded yet from what I can tell.
We had an absolute deluge for half an hour followed by a few hours of heavy rain.  Schools in my area closed tomorrow as well as the college.  Had a 45 minute wait for a taxi with trams stopped.
Not looking forward to work tomorrow morning, but there's an option of working from home if needs be!  To be honest, my monitor setup is better at home than work so it wouldn't be the end of the world!
Community Veteran

Let's hope water levels drop quickly - as met office forecast rain stopping overnight.
Yes James - the monitors in the office seem rather small - and you seem to use Laptops ?. 
Regarding the trams - are they popular - ? the reason I ask is that many people in Edinburgh seem very anti - but hopefully once they are running they will be converted. I've used the Manchester Metro and thought it was brilliant - and it's just got the go ahead for a major expansion - again. Smiley
N/A

It's certainly been bad here in South Yorkshire. The field behind where I live is flooded but that's not unusual and it will soon drain away. Hope that the folk who live in Catcliffe on the Sheffield/Rotherham border are OK - they are only just recovering from the last episode.
Unfortunately, the forecast is for more heavy rain - I don't mind a shower or two but this is too much, particularly for those who live in flood high risk  areas.
Yes, Mal the Supertram is brilliant. Plenty of them, really smooth and fast. Also very easy to get onto which is particularly useful for elderly, disabled and those with children in prams.
I remember when we used to have the old trams (like the ones they still use in Blackpool but without the pretty lights).
Used to have to get off after about 3 or 4 miles as they made me feel sick. No problems with the Supertram though - could ride around all day on them!
James
Grafter

Mal - They're very popular Smiley
Always full when I get them in the morning and eveninig Sad

Quote from: mal0z
Regarding the trams - are they popular - ?

I've used them here in Sheffield and very good they are. They always seem full when they pass me while on my way to work in the morning or going home in the evening.
Edit: as James said though not necessarily the same tram as I get up quite early Wink
Community Veteran

Just had a quick look at the supertram website and see they are being refurbished - I forgot how long ago it was built.
I would have thought that if that busy - they would add a centre car - or two .?

They had lavish plans to extend the system considerably but it never materialised.
James
Grafter

I think (before I moved here) there was talk of extending it to Rotherham.
Community Veteran

Maybe worth looking to see what the folks in Manchester did.
After the congestion charge vote went against the plan to fund the expansions. The government has just made a contribution of £195m to the plan to extend lines and provide an alternative route across the city avoiding Piccadilly gardens and a line to the airport.

Quote from: Jameseh
I think (before I moved here) there was talk of extending it to Rotherham.

...and beyond in the early days...
N/A

James makes a good point regarding the popularity of the Supertram - i.e. they are not for the faint-hearted at rush hour!
There seems to be no end to the amount of people that can be crammed onto them. Just when you think that they couldn't possibly get one more body on, the thing stops, doors open, one person might get out but another half dozen gets on!  The trick is to get in a corner and breathe in.
The talk a few years ago was to extend it out to Rotherham but as usual a few folk with loud voices objected. I would have absolutely loved it and was very much looking forward to using it and ditching the car. Alas it was not to be - money wasn't forthcoming.  Sad
The bus service is no substitute and very expensive for those who don't have a pass.
James
Grafter

It's also fantastic value.  I pay £12 a week (used to be £10) for unlimited travel on Stagecoach busses and trams.
Which is a saving of about £3,000 a year compared to my commuting to work in North London.