cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floods: Derbyshire...Entire town on brink of disaster

Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Re: Floods: Derbyshire...Entire town on brink of disaster

@Infinity Why have your 'evacuees' returned home when no one else has, indeed further evacuations are being made?

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@7up wrote:

@Champnet wrote:

@7up wrote:
Grammer school days it all, those pupils tend to believe they did it all themselves, nobody helped them etc.

Yes, it opened a few doors but it closed just as many.

Written on my phone - note the auto predict.

You said it yourself - opened doors. Those are doors that many people from normal schools don't ever even see yet alone have them open in their favour.

I'd have thought even your school would have taught you to read the whole sentence.

All the best doors that opened to me, for a successful career, came not from my education but from working behind the bar of my Dad's pub.....

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Mook  "And evacuees have returned home." was on @Infinity 's wish list.....

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Mook wrote:

@Infinity Why have your 'evacuees' returned home when no one else has, indeed further evacuations are being made?

@Infinity wrote:

I hear you, we are off on Holiday next week, let's hope it's resolved by then.

And evacuees have returned home.....(by then ) !!!!!!!!!!

Police tell Whaley Bridge evacuees that it's no longer safe for them to return to their homes: Another inch-and-a-half of rain is set to fall in just an hour TODAY on 'critical' crumbling dam as further 55 homes are evacuated

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7319185/Whaley-Bridge-braces-rain-thunderstorms-inch-half-p...

Overheard:

"The bus will have to terminate here, the police have closed the road to Hayfield, can't go any further"

"Always an excuse to you lot"

"The roads closed"

"Wasn't closed yesterday"

"Well it is now"

"Get me a [-Censored-] taxi then, AND you can pay for it"

"THE ROADS CLOSED"

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.
RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@Infinity wrote:

@Mook wrote:

@Infinity wrote:

Just a slip of the grammar?  Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@Infinity wrote:

@Mook wrote:

@Infinity wrote:

It's true I don’t know your true situation, but I that doesn’t stop me getting a whiff of [-Censored-]s and [-Censored-] form that edit.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@twocvbloke wrote:

I'm beginning to remember why I took the time away from here while I was with vodafone...

And just when you thought it safe to return here...the PN dam might be in danger of getting breached again.

Smiley

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

'Thank you' - Whaley Bridge residents praise emergency services for working around the clock to save town

Signs have gone up around the town thanking firefighters, police officers, utility workers and other emergency services

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/thank-you-whaley-bridge-residen...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@RobPN wrote:

@7up 

I'm sure I spotted a small tree which appeared to be growing out of the dam in recent TV news bulletins, but couldn't believe that was the case, assuming instead that it had somehow been carried there by the water-flow.  Unbelievable (almost)!

Like i've said in previous replies, this country has the wrong attitude to infrastructure and maintenance. Tree's growing in a dam was never going to help it maintain stability but i'll bet someone somewhere said "don't worry about it".

When that person comes to light, there WILL be finger pointing - even though a certain member here says nobody has done that (at present)

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 5

There's been a set back in the remedial works.

The emergency work being carried out on the breached Toddbrook Reservoir dam in Whaley Bridge has suffered a setback after the repair work moved overnight.

Engineers noticed that, after 400 tons of aggregate had been loaded into the damaged section of the dam since Friday, the repair 'settled' overnight.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@Luzern wrote:

There's been a set back in the remedial works.

Engineers noticed that, after 400 tons of aggregate had been loaded into the damaged section of the dam since Friday, the repair 'settled' overnight.

Not surprising in my view.  IMO the 'caved-in' concrete 'panels' of the spillway had clearly dropped into some void caused by earth and/or clay being washed away by water flowing where it shouldn't, so the remaining earth with the added weight of the ballast bags could be expected to sink the same way.

Sinkholes anybody?

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Toddbrook Reservoir in Whaley Bridge to be completely rebuilt after dam emergency, evacuated residents told at public meeting.

The development came as police confirmed at the meeting that some residents were now being allowed to return home because of the reservoir's lower water level.

It's understood to involve the Horwich End area of Whaley Bridge, from where 55 residents were evacuated on Saturday.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/reservoir-rebuilt-after-dam-eme...

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

IMG_20190810_0001_NEW (2).jpg

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Whaley Bridge dam: The people who saved a village

More than 1,000 people have worked day and night for the past seven days to stop a reservoir dam collapsing and destroying a village in the Peak District.

These are some of the stories of those who helped save Whaley Bridge from near disaster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49275929