Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floods: Derbyshire...Entire town on brink of disaster

idonno
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Floods: Derbyshire...Entire town on brink of disaster

@7up wrote:

Water companies claiming shortages with record rainfalls..

But its not a water supply dam. Nothing to do with water companies at all. Its a privately owned reservoir (Canal and River Trust) that supply water to top up the Peak Forest Canal, a waterway running between the town and Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester.

-still-critical-evacuees-spending-second-night-away-10509379/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Champnet wrote:

@7up wrote:
Grammer school days it all, those pupils tend to believe they did it all themselves, nobody helped them etc. Rest of the world is just lazy going to normal basic state schools where education is off a lesser standard..

As a former Grammar (note the spelling) school boy i’m struggling to make any sense of your comments.

@7up wrote:
Last I knew it was a Toyota hybrid!

It was a well documented HONDA JAZZ HYBRID !

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Hybrid-Cars/m-p/1099205#M151672

@RobPN wrote:
@Infinity wrote:

The Ford Kuga you mentioned was a gift to myself,

Which one?  I'm fairly certain you were bragging about ordering a second one when you informed us all that you had bought the first, which incidentally was made to sound like the best thing since sliced bread.  Roll eyes

The Kuga was purchased to replace an ageing Jeep Grand Cherokee...

Of which we had two.

But Jeep didn't do a petrol version anymore.

We liked the Kuga, so we bought a second one.....

198kHz
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 15

@wotsup wrote:

HS2 cost is rapidly heading north of £100billion just think what else could be done with that money.  HS2 is an EU project anyway, as far back as 1995 plans were drawn up in Brussels and even include the 'Y' split to take it to Manchester and Leeds, which will no doubt be an extra cost on top of the 100billion.  For a railway that only stops in London and Birmingham it is a complete waste of money.. 

And there's a better, much cheaper, alternative which already mostly exists.  Roll eyes

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/there-is-a-far-better-option-than-hs2-and-it-already-exists/

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

The draining of the reservoir is going well, approx 1.5 metres lower, needs to be 8 metres to get below the level of the damaged section.

Thunderstorms forecast for Sunday.

Local TV interviews with residents allowed back to collect essentials they didn't have time during the evacuation, they all seemed quite sanguine about the prospects.

Although probably not allowed to return for upwards of a week.

The evacuation area has been extended slightly.

Many people turning up with food & drinks for the emergency services, and donations of clothes for evacuees.

Community Veteran

@Infinity wrote:

@Champnet wrote:

@7up wrote:
Grammer school days it all, those pupils tend to believe they did it all themselves, nobody helped them etc. Rest of the world is just lazy going to normal basic state schools where education is off a lesser standard..

As a former Grammar (note the spelling) school boy i’m struggling to make any sense of your comments.

@7up wrote:

@RobPN wrote:
@Infinity wrote:

Which one?  I'm fairly certain you were bragging about ordering a second one when you informed us all that you had bought the first, which incidentally was made to sound like the best thing since sliced bread.  Roll eyes

Of which we had two.

Money no object eh? I can't even afford a second hand fiesta!

The more a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it -- George Orwell.

Beware "alternative facts".

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is set in Landing Strip, which is understood to be Great Britain in the future, a division of Oceania, a superstate that is continually at war with other superstates. Currently being organised by an American administration near you.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

The draining of the reservoir is going well, approx 1.5 metres lower, needs to be 8 metres to get below the level of the damaged section.

Thunderstorms forecast for Sunday.

Local TV interviews with residents allowed back to collect essentials they didn't have time during the evacuation, they all seemed quite sanguine about the prospects.

Although probably not allowed to return for upwards of a week.

The evacuation area has been extended slightly.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/over-fifty-more-homes-evacuated...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Champnet wrote:

@7up wrote:

As a former Grammar (note the spelling)

Yes, it opened a few doors but it closed just as many.

Written on my phone - note the auto predict.

You said it yourself - opened doors. Those are doors that many people from normal schools don't ever even see yet alone have them open in their favour.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

@7up wrote:

I remember one chap at work who went to grammer school but did not seem any brighter than anyone else, asked him how he got into grammer school and the answer was, " Easy, my dad was a teacher and made me stay in for one hour every night for 3 months before the exam doing old exam papers, the answers were of course different but it was simply knowing the formula"

Often made me wonder given that same chance how many of us would have got into Grammar school.

Equally one of my school friends passed the exam but refused to go to Grammer school as all his friends were going to secondary school.

Perhaps I was lucky in failing the 11+ With my attitude I would never have fitted in.

Hawking himself admitted that some of his problem solves took him years to come up with a theory for. He was one of the very brightest in our generations. I can't remember what it was but i read a quote where he admitted one problem had him stumped for over 20 years before he come up with an answer for it.

In my view, intelligence isn't how much better your brain performs but how much help you've been given to HELP it perform better. We're all born as babies with a blank slate for a brain, we all have to learn to walk, talk, feed etc. I've known "thick" people who are incredibly smart and likewise "intelligent" people who are incredibly stupid. Grammar schools are / were a status icon where the better teachers generally gravitate towards.

Community Veteran

@Infinity wrote:

@Champnet wrote:

@7up wrote:

@7up wrote:

@RobPN wrote:
@Infinity wrote:

Of which we had two.

See this is a classic example of your behaviour @Infinity. You've started a thread about a disaster that's affecting many thousands of people... slate me for pointing out that we're useless at maintaining infrastructure and yet all the way through this thread your entire attitude is to talk about YOU - all your replies are "Me, me, me. me, me, we, me, me, we, me"

I've got a longer straw than many and enjoyed a lot of your topics over the years (genuine comment btw) however I have noticed that you do frequently bleat on about the BBC, who you've met, who you've worked with, what cars you bought, how wonderful they are, your career, your business interests and so many other things.. .it's no wonder so many here gave you such a grilling moons ago.

Even in your opening post you talk about the events of this dam affecting so many.. and then go on to turn it around to mention yourself living nearby.. but you're lucky because you're up on a hill out of harms way - really a great time to rub that in when others might lose their homes if that dam bursts...

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Significant progress has been made in the round-the-clock effort to save Whaley Bridge from a possible dam collapse.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/fight-save-whaley-bridge-pictures-16693358

Community Veteran

@Infinity wrote:

SoapBox.jpg

Totally inappropriate rant

Inappropriate huh?

screenshot-995

Like i said, our country is bad at infrastructure stuff.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

[IGNORE FILTER APPLIED]

Community Veteran

I'm beginning to remember why I took the time away from here while I was with vodafone...

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

I hear you, we are off on Holiday next week, let's hope it's resolved by then.

And evacuees have returned home.

However, today is not looking so good.

Whaley Bridge braces for more rain and thunderstorms with up to an inch-and-a-half predicted to fall in just an hour today as emergency services continue their desperate race against time to save dam from collapse

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7319185/Whaley-Bridge-braces-rain-thunderstorms-inch-half-p...

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@7up wrote:

screenshot-995

Like i said, our country is bad at infrastructure stuff.

@7up 

I'm sure I spotted a small tree which appeared to be growing out of the dam in recent TV news bulletins, but couldn't believe that was the case, assuming instead that it had somehow been carried there by the water-flow.  Unbelievable (almost)!