cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flooding

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Flooding

Leaving aside some of the reasons its happening in some parts of the country (building on low ground, poor flood defences etc.) My heart goes out to the people who have been so badly affected by this and previous flooding incidents, who can only stand and watch while the forces of nature ruin their lives.
We feel lucky here living near the top of a 400ft hill (above sea-level) it would need a flood of biblical proportions to directly affect us here, but I suppose we could be slightly cut off to the lower end of the hill. The nearby Grand Union canal in Kings Langley is lapping very close to the tops of the lock gates, and a couple of nearby houses have been sandbagged.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Flooding

Yes, it is sad to see the TV pictures of the floods.  The government certainly haven't done enough to protect venerable areas.  Another sad thing is that many of the people affected are not insured.  They either can't get insurance or find it too expensive.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo

The government certainly haven't done enough to protect venerable areas.

So often (but not always) so many of the homes affected are fairly newish build. Whilst its easy to "blame" the government -and I'm no admirer of this government- a lot of responsibility must be laid at the feet of the planners who designed and allowed the properties to be built in such vulnerable areas in the first place.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I agree with what you say about building on inappropriate land where there is no natural drainage.  However, government are putting pressure on builders to build more and more houses and they and local government approve all these schemes before they can be built.
Community Veteran

Yes, I agree artmo. a previous fat, womanising, slob of a deputy prime minister (deliberately uncapitalised) may well have a lot to answer for, bet he doesn't lose any sleep over his policies though.

Community Veteran

Bet it's not long before we have a photo opportunity in the flood areas with Brown turning up (suit and tie of course) wringing his hands in mock sympathy and promising his government will do all they can to help.
He'd better not go back to Hull where his similar promises last year have still not been met.  Many of those who lost their homes are still living in caravans.
Mal08
Rising Star

Quote from: petlew

We feel lucky here living near the top of a 400ft hill (above sea-level) it would need a flood of biblical proportions to directly affect us here, but I suppose we could be slightly cut off to the lower end of the hill. The nearby Grand Union canal in Kings Langley is lapping very close to the tops of the lock gates, and a couple of nearby houses have been sandbagged.

Indeed - You can only watch be thankful one isn't in a risk area - but these days buying property one has to look carefully at vunerability to flooding.
The canals seem to have faired fairly well - they are generally well above river levels - except a few notable exmptions were canals cross rivers such as Alrewas, Several places on Southern Oxford , Caldon Canal etc.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nadger
Rising Star

Like petlew we are 400ft above sea level ( gives us good Freeview from Bedmond) and house is elevated relative to road and footpaths.
One can only feel sorrow for the people whose properties have been flooded - must be soul destroying to see possessions ruined in this way. For some people it's not the first time this has happened and many are unable to now get insurance cover.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger

For some people it's not the first time this has happened and many are unable to now get insurance cover.

Nor can they off-load the properties, would you buy a house that had been flooded in this way? So they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Community Veteran

In Florida where they have similar problems getting insurance everyone has to be offered it by law but at a price.  If none of the ordinary insurance companies will quote then there is an 'insurer of last resort' which is effectively the State.  One problem with their rates is that they are not allowed to compete with the commercial companies and therefore charge much higher rates.
geewizz
Grafter

I wonder if I can get government insurance for my car. It has no tax, no MOT, no brakes and I can't sell it so I'll have to drive it.
Community Veteran

I think they will certainly look after it for you, after they make it into a cube