cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flight plan

Fixes: 125

Flight plan

Discussion...
Should a flight against the earth's rotation be quicker than a similar journey in the other direction (ignoring wind directions)?
You Tube

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Flight plan

If you travel at 2000mph you are stationary Undecided
When I flew from the UK to Vancouver we left at 12 midday and arrived at about 1 PM after a 12 hour flight.
That felt strange.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Razer
Grafter

As more and more is posted on this forum, it is becoming clearer and clearer to me; I am losing intellectual capacity. I didn't get a single thing in that video.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

To bring this back to earth  Grin
The plane is moving with the earth's spin and the flight speed is measured relative to the earth's surface (ignoring wind speed) so very little difference in elapsed time
kmilburn
Grafter

Some of the facts presented only work for an external observer, tracking the planes position independant of the planet, but the aircraft's flight is not independant.
As the plane is moving within the atmosphere, which is also moving with the rotation of the earth (otherwise it'd be damned windy out there!), so the plane and earth are part of a closed system. 
Using measurements relative to a point outside that system lies somewhere between misguided and deceptive,  depending on motivation!

There is the rotation of the Earth around the Sun and the rotational movement of our galaxy and it's movement in space to be taken into consideration.
Relative to what point of reference one may ask Undecided Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Thankfully the effect of the planes slowing the Earth's rotation by flying against the direction of roation is counterbalanced by planes flying in the opposite direction.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

If all the people on the planet simultaneously sneezed in a westerly direction would it affect the speed of rotation of the planet?
kmilburn
Grafter

I don't think everyone sneezing is going to do it,  not if this is anything to go by...  Smiley

I wonder what effect this will have http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/sciencefair/2013/01/29/asteroid-flyby-february/1875121/
I must remember to duck Undecided