cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flight Delays

Community Veteran

Flight Delays

If you are delayed on a flight for more than 3 hours it is worth putting in a claim.  I recently had a flight delay and claimed. Today I have had €600 paid into my bank account. (£470)
Claiming is very straightforward especially after last week's Supreme Court ruling.

Claiming Compensation
Claims can be backdated 6 years.
20 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Flight Delays

Don't complain when the cost of flights go up because of the claim culture.
Martin Lewis on this subject
The law behind this is clear cut, the ethics far less so. My usual focus for these type of issues is on reclaiming - asking for money back that was wrongly taken from you. This, however, is compensation, and like many I worry about a growing compensation culture.
This EU ruling has certainly swung the pendulum against airlines. As the cost of the flight is irrelevant to the payout there will be some who paid £20 for a cheap flight, were delayed a few hours that didn't really bother them, yet are entitled to a disproportionate £320 compensation for it.
If everyone did it, this could cripple budget airlines' pricing models and possibly hasten the financial troubles of airlines already struggling in a tough economy. Therefore balancing this on the see-saw of right and wrong isn't easy.
If I were rejigging the rules to make it fairer for both travellers and the industry (in order to keep flight prices down), I'd suggest the compensation paid should be whichever is cheaper - your flight price or the fixed compensation amount set out in law.
For example, if you were on a £50 flight and entitled to £200 compensation, you'd get £50 in compensation. But if your flight cost £300, you'd be entitled to the full £200 in compensation.
Yet equally, there are many for whom this is valuable financial justice for substandard service on an expensive product. People who paid £1,000s for flights and spent a dozen hours trapped with upset young children, sleeping on chairs in overheated airports or on planes waiting to take off.
Therefore each individual must make their own ethical choice of whether to take up the cudgels and go for the compensation. While the impact on the airline is no reason not to do it, for me it is a reason to first examine whether the compensation you could be due would be truly fair or excessive.
Fixes: 47

The claims culture is one of my pet hates.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

I think compensation when genuine hardship or financial loss is involved is acceptable.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@itsme, I don't disagree with some of what Martin Lewis says. As it happens the main budget airlines in the UK (Easyjet and Ryanair) have extremely good punctuality records. I would not see anything wrong in limiting the compensation to the cost of the ticket if it is below the cost of compensation and leave the passenger to argue any consequential costs with the airline.

But surely insurance covers the cost of delays and would be better than the airlines picking up the cost.
Perhaps the airlines could come to some agreement with the insurance companies on this Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

itsme
Grafter

I do most of my flying in the winter so over the years have spent many an hour in airports so tend to accept delays because of bad weather.
But having said that perhaps the airlines should be hit in the pocket when they use the excuse that the plane is not in the right place. Sometimes the plane that would cover the route and is on time is then changed to do another route as the plane that would normally do that one is stuck in another country.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
But surely insurance covers the cost of delays and would be better than the airlines picking up the cost.
Perhaps the airlines could come to some agreement with the insurance companies on this Undecided

Had to go a pick my annual travel insurance renewal letter from the door mat, delivered a day or 2 ago.
With my insurance you only get compensation for delayed departure at a certain cover level, which I have as normally if you want ski cover you are getting to the upper levels of cover.
Then it's up to £250 paid at a rate of £25 for each 12hrs. This is if a read it correctly! So to get the full £250 the delay has to be 120hrs.

Just had a quick look at the terms for the insurance cover I have with Barclays...
Delayed departure benefit                    £250  £50 for abandonment after 24hrs
Benefit for each 12hr period                £25
Abandonment following 24hr delay      £3,000
Excursions                                        £250
Kennel/cattery fees                            £200

Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
I do most of my flying in the winter so over the years have spent many an hour in airports so tend to accept delays because of bad weather.
But having said that perhaps the airlines should be hit in the pocket when they use the excuse that the plane is not in the right place. Sometimes the plane that would cover the route and is on time is then changed to do another route as the plane that would normally do that one is stuck in another country.

Bad weather would not trigger compensation as it is beyond the airlines' control.
Switching their aircraft around to play catch-up would trigger compensation as it is something they can avoid.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

So let me get this right.. at certain times of year when you know flying will be chaotic you could be a passenger non-stop - going abroad and coming back repeatedly in the same day and be a career claimer?
The Con is ON!!!!
My flight could be delayed making me miss my next flight and the next... and the next... I can see the endless bundles of cash coming my way  Cheesy
artmo you are a legend  Wink    (shame I'm too skint to actually try it  Crazy)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

My Lloyds Bank Travel Insurance pays £30 for the first completed 12 hour delay and then £20 for each completed 12 hours after that. This is reduced to 6 hours on trips of 3 days or less. Also up to £5000 for any unrecoverable travel and accommodation costs.
itsme
Grafter

Been over twenty years since I claimed on travel insurance and that was for medical expenses in the USA for a damaged leg from skiing.
But 4 years ago I thought I was going to make a claim as we missed our RyanAir flight out of Stansted because of a couple of road accidents on the A12 which then gridlocked the A120. Got to the airport and was on the phone to the insurance company as my brother was arranging alternative flights with RyanAir and I was expecting at least £150 charge. Found out from the insurance company that if you use you own transport to travel to the airport then you will never be successful on a claim for miss departure.
I can understand the reason as it's very hard to prove that you allowed enough time to reach the airport so only can claim if you use public transport. I did point out the road stations were putting out road bulletins.
But in the end the outcome was fine as RyanAir only charged £50 each on a flight leaving less than 2 hrs after the one we were booked on. As the original flight was very cheap in the end with the addition charge it still only worked out what we normally pay.
Edit - Reading the cover that I now have it seem that I would be able to claim if an incident happen on the highway which can't be avoided. I use LV now but at the time of missing the flight it was Swiftcover.

Quote from: itsme
Found out from the insurance company that if you use you own transport to travel to the airport then you will never can claim on the miss departure.

I found this out the hard way, too.
I left with more than enough time to get to Heathrow for a BA flight to Ukraine but heavier than normal traffic in three areas on the way mean I missed check-in by 10 minutes even though though the plane wasn't boarding. After some frantic calls during a taxi ride to Gatwick I managed to secure a flight on Ukraine International Airlines which I managed to check-in to with just minutes to spare. The next problem was trying to get a message to my yet-to-be wife that I would be delayed in getting to Kyiv when my Russian was non-existent and her English wasn't too good!
Insurance wouldn't touch us.

itsme
Grafter

I've been late for check-in at Heathrow on a day business trip to Munich. So no luggage, was told at the desk if we make it to the gate in time that they would check as in. Got through departure gate and security with just a ticket and no boarding pass. Got to the gate after running  about a mile, you realise how large airports are when in a hurry. Checked in at the gate straight on the plane into the first row of seats, then the plane sat at the gate for the next 30 minutes.
Doing business travel picked up a few tips, which mainly only work on national carriers. Doing a day trip then check-in when you arrive for the return evening flight. Some airlines will allow you to check in early, the earliest I checked luggage in is in Kuala Lumpur going the the Formula 1 Grand Prix. To get to the circuit from the city is via the airport so checked in and drop luggage of on the Saturday when going to see qualifying as I was flying out straight after the race on the Sunday. Frequent fliers will know flights numbers are the same each day so when I picked my bag up at London it had warning Next Day stickers on it.