Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat screen telly...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Flat screen telly...

Anyone on here give me some advice about flat screens?
I was going to buy an LCD, probably a 32" or a 37", maybe a Panasonic, an LXD80 or something similar.  I don't play games or DVD's, just watch the boring old terrestrial television.
I've recently been reading up on the LG 32" plasma which apparently gets some pretty good reviews BUT it appears to be prone to image retention (IR) - well at least some people have pretty bad IR whereas others don't.  Maybe a panel quality control issue?
One of those annoying situations when I've almost made up my mind which one to have - then I have second thoughts - come to think of it my old crt has pretty good picture...
John
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Flat screen telly...

I have been doing a bit of looking recently and came across these which may help
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=959250
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks Oldjim,
All grist to the mill as they say.
I worked in the AV field for some years and we used to consider Panasonic, Hitachi, Pioneer and a couple of others as being pretty much the best televisions, followed maybe by Toshiba and Sony.  The ones we would never touch were Lucky Goldstar who have rebranded themselves and are trading as Life's Good and a few others like Amstrad, Goodmans etc.  There were always the exceptions of course...
Which is why I'm turning towards the Panny, but I'm intrigued (maybe against my better judgement) by the LG 32PG6000 which is getting good reviews and can be had for a very sensible price.  But it's still an LG...
There is an LG blog on the AV Forums and I emailed LG to enquire about the IR problem but they couldn't be bothered to reply - doesn't instill much confidence...
Community Veteran

Just make sure it has Freeview so its ok when you go digital they are still selling some without it and for us in Granada region the switch over is next year.
Once you have had one you wont want to watch CRT the pictures is brilliant. Make sure you have enough sockets for your requirements like Scarts and HDMI maybe a pc connection you could consider one with Freesat if you wan to go down that route
nmercer
Grafter

I have had an LG 37LZ55 for a few years now running with a Freesat box.  Wife will not let me change it!
Cheers Neil.
Fixes: 47

How does one get rid of a 32" wide screen CRT that weighs a ton. I would like to get a 42" Flat Panel to replace mine Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
How does one get rid of a 32" wide screen CRT that weighs a ton

Freecycle

He wields freecycle like Excalibur Wink
Nobody wants CRT TVs these days and transportation is another issue. As I said it's HEAVY. Even the stand is a two man job Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you might find the shop you get modern with will take it, if not some councils will do a free collection, third option is the local refuse centre  (or get an itinerant to dump it in a hedge) Cry

Quote from: pierre_pierre
(or get an itinerant to dump it in a hedge) Cry

Do itinerants compete in the World's Strongest Man competitions Cheesy The nearest hedge is round my back garden and I don't think he would get it that far.
Thanks for the suggestions though Smiley
I do feel I've hijacked the OPs thread...sorry Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Wink  two more posts Strat... for your 3,000 up !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You two are newcommers,  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes Pierre, but can we throw a party for Strat when he finally makes 3,000?    Cheesy Roll eyes Cheesy

3001...is this correct considering the problems we had a while ago Smiley
jmd
Grafter

Why does everyone want enormous TV screens?  I have a small lounge and have a very good 26inch Loewe Flat screen TV [it was less than half price 2 yrs ago  - would not be able to afford full price] which has a good picture and does not dominate the room.