cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Flash..

After realising many times recently that my super fast lowly 2GHz machine kept freezing up rather a lot I've realised it seems to be flash that is embedded in certain websites like yahoo mail.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way in mozilla browsers to disable flash on certain websites with a white or black list of sites it can / can't run on?
It's become very annoying to see my CPU go up to 100% whenever there is a flash advert somewhere as it completely hogs my entire system. There is no excuse for this and adobe who took it over from macromedia should be ashamed - it's no wonder Steve Jobs didn't want it on apple devices!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Flash..

Well seamonkeys permissions manager won't allow me to save any settings that actually work (eg denying plugins for all sites - flash still loads) but I did find a setting that does stop flash for all sites:

If you're then on a site that requires it such as youtube you get this:

That seems to do the trick and my CPU usage is back down again!
It would be handy though if seamonkey / mozilla allowed you to save these settings per site. There is a permissions manager but when I tried it nothing changed  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

The most common reason I've seen for problems like this is caused by the 'hardware acceleration' in flash, you could try turning it off in the flash properties, and see if things improve.
There are several plugins that disable flash (and other things) depending on how far you want to go.
I use NoScript and AdBlock and Ghostery,  you can also use flashblock.
The main problem with these,  is that they disable things by default, and you have to whitelist sites as you go.  Some sites won't function well if at all with certain elements blocked.
Community Veteran

I always use Flashblock as mentioned above. Never had any problems with it and you only have to press a play button, that shows up where the blocked flash was, to see it if it's necessary.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/?src=ss
Razer
Grafter

I would echo the use of plugins. I use NoScript & Ghostery. I would caution, however, that simply having NoScript installed can prevent certain sites from working at all, even if you whitelist it (e.g. Vimeo won't work for me due to NoScript simply being installed).