cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash adverts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Flash adverts

Anyone else around here finding that more and more sites are using cpu hungrier flash adverts?
Almost every site i visit these days is using some flash advert that is trying to use 100% cpu cycles. O2 are the worst company, every time they release a new advert for a new deal / phone it dives into a loop of some kind and tries to hog all my CPU. For what I have no idea but i keep reporting it to them and then eventually they go away and deal with it.. and then the next ad comes out  Roll eyes
I used to think that O2 were the only enemy of their potential customers however in the last week i've noticed that the DM are displaying adverts like this, now yahoo mail is at it, and some other forums i visit are also falling victim too. Whats worse is that when you refresh you either get the same advert again or another different one that is also designed to use as much CPU as possible. Just the other day i came back to my computer after half an hour away from it to find that the flashplayer plugin had taken over 1.5GB of memory for one webpage and it was still trying to burn my processor out  Shocked
So if anyone out there who designs these adverts is reading this post, PLEASE for the love of god realise that we do not all own 8 core processors that allow you to loop continuously without a sleep call anywhere. It's extremely annoying and only annoys people when they can't use their computer.
I fail to understand how these people get professional jobs designing these things yet don't understand the basics such as cpu cycle theft and using a sleep call to avoid maxing the CPU usage. How does this happen?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Flash adverts

Sorry - I can't comment
Firefox with Adblock Plus means I don't see them
Fixes: 105

i use flashblock
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I don't want any pointless ad costing me power/money so like dvorak I use flashblock.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

AdBlockPlus user here, so flash ads (which made me use ABP) are blocked... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: dvorak
i use flashblock

Ditto + Image & Flash Blocker, also Flashkiller.
Will have to check out AdBlockPlus - what's special about it?
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
............ the basics such as cpu cycle theft and using a sleep call to avoid maxing the CPU usage. How does this happen?

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on that for those of us not into all that detail  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Anotherone
what's special about it?

It works on all unwanted ads, simple as that, if only it worked on ITV too... Grin
Fixes: 125

Flash crashes within FF on a regular basis.
Don't use Chrome or IE enough to monitor if and when it happens.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Anotherone
Quote from: 7up
............ the basics such as cpu cycle theft and using a sleep call to avoid maxing the CPU usage. How does this happen?

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on that for those of us not into all that detail  Wink

A process that dives into a non stop repeating loop effectively takes all the processor cycles / power / operations and doesn't limits the amount of time other programs get on the processor (hence other programs become slow and unreliable).
A simple sleep for 100 milliseconds in each cycle of the loop is usually more than adequate to let other programs get their share of processor time however a lot of these flash adverts are being coded by morons who don't understand this.
Community Veteran

Thanks, I was guessing that's probably what it was, and I've a feeling that there may be something else similar, I've been having similar issues with Yahoo Web mail despite Flash being blocked.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In the UK the Advertising Standards Agency should ban cpu hog adverts. This cpu stealing is the reason why most people consider using Adblock. As a consequence all of the advertisers suffer (their adverts blocked) from the inconsiderate actions of a few advertisers who write poor code.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
In the UK the Advertising Standards Agency should ban cpu hog adverts.

+1
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Adblockplus  Cool  FF34 cant go wrong  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I just went on to Flight Radar to see what was happening with the computer failure in ATC and got an interesting popup from Adblock Plus - Did I want to allow targeted adverts - the answer was no as you might expect