cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flame bait - RNLI

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Flame bait - RNLI

I've just seen an article on the BBC News Website. The RNLI have just delivered a new lifeboat and are rebuilding the lifeboat house. The total cost is circa £8 Million (not including fuel and other running costs), or on past performance about £160K per "saved" life. It's about time the the RNLI check that boaters have suitable insurance to pay for their rescue before launching the rescue boat.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
24 REPLIES
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Flame bait - RNLI

Sounds like value to money to me! Always difficult to put a value on life, but if I had to I'd put it far higher than £160k.
GrahamC
Grafter

As the RNLI is not a public funded organisation, I suppose they are free to make their own decisions with regard to rescue charges. Maybe "boaters" should have to pay an annual license fee to subsidise the RNLI donations, similar to road tax/TV license.
Community Veteran

You cannot put a price on life.  The RNLI do a fantastic job and I hope they continue to do so.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

RNLI isn't funded by the government so whatever funds they get their hands on is money that they have to spend as they see fit. If they then spend £8million on a new boathouse I would say its money well spent as they do not have the ability to plug into the government coffers and help themselves. Instead they have to balance their books and watch the pennies like the rest of us.
Good job RNLI.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Even the seaman are volunteers.  Some pay with their live for the job they do.
Fixes: 47

[Cynical Mode]
If they were taking lives they would be well funded.
But they are saving lives so they are not.
[/Cynical Mode]
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
David_W
Rising Star

I think people living near waters where the RNLI operate are more likely to donate, and probably more likely to see charity boxes for the RNLI in their local pub.  Pretty much everyone living near water should know someone who may one day rely on the RNLI or indeed people who volunteer for the RNLI so the donations are a way of saying "here, but lets hope I don't need you!".  Personally I know a fisherman that goes out in a small boat, fishermen who go out in trawlers and someone who was a lifeboat volunteer so my change goes into the RNLI box.  You become aware of things that may affect you, like cancer patients and their families may have a leaning towards supporting cancer charities so boaters should lean towards the RNLI, even more so if they have ever been rescued.
A high profile case in point, Richard Hammond, after his accident he now supports strongly the air ambulance and raises money for them because they had an effect on his life, well, they saved his life.
Community Veteran

It must have got a lot more difficult to raise money in recent years.
Much used to be raised, in seaside towns, in traditional fun ways. But a lot of the old style fun has fallen foul of the health and safety nazis.
Community Veteran

This has come up several times in this forum and the question of RNLI (and air ambulance etc.) charity funding, And why doesn't the government provide funds?
Mostly because those organisations don't want government funding. With government funding comes government interference, quango's and political "experts" brought in (at stratospheric salary's) to tell the real experts how they should be doing their jobs and using and spending government money. They are better off without it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

You're right about both the RNLI and the Air ambulance Service not wanting to b e tied to the government in return for funding.  I wonder if they have access to lottery funding as this would certainly help their income.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

It would still run the risk of external influence. Their stance of being an independent charity will be well thought out, and unless they are struggling for funding (which I'm not aware that they are) then they will unlikely want to change that. 'If it aint broke don't fix it'.
Mathew
Community Veteran

Quite right, if you've ever seen the hoops that even small organisations -such as a small sports club- have to jump through to get lottery funding is enough to put some off even proceeding past the initial application, a process that can take years.
That is not to say I think that is not right, after all it is our money they're giving away and it should be only given to bona-fide applications that have no signs of being underhand.
However, I would like to think that the RNLI/air ambulance etc. would have to do very little to prove their credentials. But it might be easier if the National Lottery simply paid for a new lifeboat or helicopter directly in the name of the British public from time to time. Thereby removing a lot of expenditure from those organisations. Something I suspect would raise not a murmur of dissent from the public. Funding provided in this way should be free of all restrictions and interference from the National Lottery other than verification of purchase orders/delivery etc.
The danger being, that the normally charity minded British public would no longer give to these important services if they think the National Lottery is doing it for them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The RNLI should take over the support of the emergency rescue helicopters, inland too. They could then better coordinate rescues.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

You make some good points Petlew. Funding is always a problem for these vital services.