cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed price gas deals

nadger
Rising Star

Fixed price gas deals

My current fixed price deal ends on March 31st and I've been offered a new 3 year deal at 7.1% above current prices.
In the past I've done ok with these deals and am inclined to take this one as I can't see gas prices going down.
Does anyone else prefer to know their outlay for a fixed period?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Fixed price gas deals

I would check around before you jump into another deal.
Just use the normal checkers (uswitch etc) and the utility board on moneysavingexpert.com.
I switched back in the middle of last year when my old deal finished and managed to get a deal that was/is still the best available here (NB you can't compare prices unless you are in the same area  Shocked They vary the cost depending on where you are, bit like petrol prices  Crazy)
annerimmington
Grafter

I reckon other companies will be dropping gas prices to fall in line with British Gas shortly so maybe best to wait a while for fixed price deals.    I`ve an internet only account with N Power that is very competetive - no paper billing which I`m happy with.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It might be worth registering for Which? Big Switch and seeing what rates that comes up with.
https://www.whichbigswitch.co.uk/?actioncode=TBSO1GF
Quote from: annerimmington
I reckon other companies will be dropping gas prices to fall in line with British Gas shortly so maybe best to wait a while for fixed price deals.

I may have missed something but I didn't think that British Gas had dropped its standard rates for gas. It announced that it had dropped its prices for the standard electricity tariff. The biggest domestic electricity users are likely to be on Economy 7 and there has been no reduction for them.  
I am aware that one or more companies that are mainly electricity suppliers have dropped their gas prices. Thus maximum publicity minimum loss of income from energy sales.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16526539
Fixes: 47

Quote from: annerimmington
I`ve an internet only account with N Power that is very competetive - no paper billing which I`m happy with.

Same here and as an aside I have attached the npower predictions for my energy usage in 2011 and 2012.
I'm putting the savings down to double glazing and cavity wall insulation.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Am I correct in thinking that in some areas if you are over a certain age you can get cavity wall insulation for free ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Its on offer here to all people, Scottish Borders Council incentive, we have it already so not bothered. They also offer loft insulation but as I floored my loft and it is FULL (seems like it anyway  Shocked) I didn't bother with that either  Sad
nadger
Rising Star

Our house already had cavity foam insulation when we bought it in 1985 so haven't been interested in free offers we've received as an over 70.
Our gas consumption seems to have dropped since we've had new condensing boiler ( not combi) but it's difficult to quantify as winter has been milder.
Overall I am in favour of long term fixed price deals as one can't get any nasty shocks until deal ends and one sees actual price increase over the period.

I took advantage of the free cavity wall insulation offered by Sheffield City Council but declined the loft insulation offer as I already have some insulation up there and there is so much junk up there also it would take a couple of container lorries to shift it Embarrassed
The new condensing boiler fitted 2 years ago may also have had some influence on my gas consumption.
annerimmington
Grafter

I have heard and read many horror stories of people with condensing boilers having major problems with frozen pipes and unreliability.    Are they the only boilers now available ?   Mine is probably nearing the end of its life (17 years) but so reliable and am dubious about my next one being a condensing one....................is the saving in fuel consumption worth it if the flippin thing is going to break down more often in winter ?

Personally I've had no problems whatsoever with my condensing boiler over 2 years.
Others here have had issues with a freezing condensate pipe.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102420.0.html
nadger
Rising Star

Don't think you'll have much option regarding having a condensing boiler fitted ( either conventional or combi) as non condensing boilers can only be fitted in exceptional circumstances.
Most of the problems mentioned relate to condensate pipe freezing - we had two periods of extreme cold weather and had no problems.
Our previous boiler was 26 years old.