cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fish Fight

nadger
Rising Star

Fish Fight

Just signed up here http://www.fishfight.net having seen it on One Show.

12 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Fish Fight

You should watch Hughs fish fight on CH4, Its an eye opener Shocked
nadger
Rising Star

Didn't watch it but it's been known, for ages, that large amounts of prime fish is being dumped back in the sea so that trawler skippers aren't fined.
I seem to recall having seen that Norway has a completely different set of rules.
Community Veteran

Is that because Norway isn't in the EU Undecided  I think the EU needs to rethink its fishing policies which are working against some countries like our own.
nadger
Rising Star

Considering that all Norway's friends ( Sweden, Denmark & Finland) are in the EU it's surprising to find that they stayed out.
I'm sure the programme I watched showed Scottish fishermen moving to work out of ports in Norway to avoid quota problems.
In another programme it showed fishery protection vessels checking trawler catches and checking logs to see where certain fish were caught as rules differ between Channel & North Sea. Based on trawler's transponders they could spot false claims.
Community Veteran

Not a bad decision by Norway.  I don't think it's had any adverse effects on them and may even have been beneficial.
Like all EU laws the fish quota is followed by some countries such as ourselves but ignored by others.  Spain used to be one of the worst offenders but I don't know if it still is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's not really about quotas and stuff. It's just a witch hunt againt fishermen. UK governments are obsessed with the glitzy glamour looks that america promotes and they don't like anything which lowers the tone (fishing, manufacturing, any sort of industrial thing). All we're supposed to need now is bankers, insurers, IT guys, councils, that kinda thing.
I'm pretty sure they'd fire the dustmen (whoops soz, 'Refuse collectors') if they had the chance too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
johpal
Grafter

Bit off topic, but this is Chit Chat...
@okrzynska - Your comments reminded mr of the 'B' Ark, referenced in Douglas Adams' The Restaurant at the End of the Universe' with freezers full of people of certain occupations, drifting in space forever, awaiting revival  Grin
http://www.geoffwilkins.net/fragments/Adams.htm
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Grin  Aye, Adams at his best. I wonder what he would make of the EU's loony fish policy were he still with us?
@nadger  Ta for link - I've signed up.
Not young enough to know everything
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: 4C
@nadger  Ta for link - I've signed up.
I see that it's jumped from 106,000 when I signed yesterday to over 290,000 now.
Such is the power of TV  Wink
Community Veteran

Thanks for the link Nadger.  I've just signed up and I'm number 323,864 Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

Let's hope that someone takes notice but, not wishing to sound negative, over a million signed against Iraq war and Blair took no notice and lied about wmd.
Steve
Pro

Just have to wait and see what Impact this really has, Time will tell.( Can think of more Important things that need addressed )