cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First hi-fi...

Fixes: 125

First hi-fi...

While listening to music on the PC I was reminiscing about my first hi-fi system and decided to list it here:
After passing all my 'O' Levels my parents bought me a Garrard SP25 Mk IV record deck which I'd fussed about for some time along with an Alba (urggggggggh) stereo amplifier and a pair of Wharfedale Denton speakers.
Four years later and in work I bought myself a Sony TA11 amplifier and a Sony SP-T20 record deck that had a strobe light - seemed quite impressive back then. Within a few years I had added a Sony ST-A30L stereo tuner and a Sony TC-U30 cassette deck. I added another Sony TC K555 cassette deck few years later.
Late 80's I added a pair of Mordaunt-Short 3 way speakers. By the late 90's all that remained of this original setup was the Sony SP-T20 which was still going strong when I gave it away in 2002 when I moved to a new property and was using the PC more for my music. The rest had been replaced with other Sony gear as some had worn out as well as wanting the latest models.
I also had access to an old Akai DS4000 tape deck. In the mid- 80's a girlfriend and I used to record ourselves singing on the Akia while reading the words off a BBC B+ connected to a TV and timed to change with the music. I always like to think we invented karaoki Cheesy
Sometimes I wish I still owned my hi-fi separates but it is so convenient having everything on the PC.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

15 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: First hi-fi...

Garrard SP25  record deck, now that brings back some memories !!!
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Those were the days!
I too had a Garrard SP25 deck. My amplifier was a Rogers Cadet lll (valves) and I had a Tripletone FM radio tuner. Everything made in Britain but very expensive compared with today's prices.
In the mid 60s Wharfdale produced a kit which allowed you to fit your speakers on top of 4ft concrete sewerage pipes.
The sound was wonderful!
Smiley

shalom2010
Grafter

I must admit my first 'hi-fi' was Amstrad with nice mains hum from the amp when the volume went too high Smiley
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
a Garrard SP25 Mk IV record deck which I'd fussed about for some time along with an Alba (urggggggggh) stereo amplifier and a pair of Wharfedale Denton speakers.

Spooky - that's my first line-up  Shocked
The Garrard was replaced with a Thorens TD104 (still in the loft somewhere), and finally an Ariston RD80
The amp was followed by a Trio of some sort, then an A&R A60, still going strong
The Dentons were ditched for MS Festival II, in use today
The current lineup must be well over 30 years old (apart from CD & tape decks)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can't knock the vinyl sound thats for sure.. Digital is cool but it has that missing element don't you think? - Bit like a mini vs a top of the range BMW. Sure the BMW might have more status, gadgets, power etc but the mini is pure seat of the pants fun right?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Sprite
Can't knock the vinyl sound thats for sure.. Digital is cool but it has that missing element don't you think?

The missing element being the trip to the deck to flip the disk  Tongue I still get a feeling of "something not right" when a CD plays straight through from side 1 to side 2  Sad
shalom2010
Grafter

Vinyl & a good amp have what I would describe as a smooth mellow sound, uncompressed - not like the compressed over modulated sound produced by most of today's music. The music production quality of, as
an example 'Dark Side Of The Moon' - is hard to beat (although my all time favourite 'real' hi-fi sound is The Moody Blues 'Days Of Future Passed'. A vinyl recording produced at the time time to show real stereo.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My first foray into 'hi-fi' was a BSR McDonald MP60 turntable, feeding two radios which happened to have phono inuts. Well, at least it was stereo.  Grin
Eventually saved up enough to buy a 20W Eagle AA4 amplifier, and a pair of Wharfedale Glendale 3-way speakers (still going strong today - albeit with a replacement tweeter after a mishap with an electronic keyboard).
The amp turned out to be faint and distorted on one channel, so I took it back to the shop in Wolverhampton. I'd carefully packed it with all the original packaging, accessories and manual, but when I got to the counter the guy, without a glance at the box, said "Just chuck it on that pile in the corner", so I obviously wasn't the only one.
The new replacement he gave me worked fine for several years, although it did require periodic opening up and cleaning/adjusting the 'open plan' switch contacts.
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 47

This was my first and only true Hi-Fi turntable...and I still have it albeit with an SME 3009 tone arm.

My amplifier I built from an electronics magazine design.....and MS speakers.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Razer
Grafter

That's just beautiful.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shalom2010
(although my all time favourite 'real' hi-fi sound is The Moody Blues 'Days Of Future Passed'. A vinyl recording produced at the time time to show real stereo.

My first real full time job was at an electronics company whose boss was a Moody Blues fanatic - I spent the whole summer just listening to Moody Blues (as a 16 year old) and loved it.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Magnificent, Strat!
I am convinced that vinyl produced a superior sound. The only problem being, especially in the case of classical music, a really good turntable was an ideal.
Sadly, In the 1960s I could only afford a Garrard SP25 and during particular passages of music it showed its cheapness up with a certain amount of wow.

Community Veteran

wow and flutter - it all added to the experience Smiley
Its probably the quest for 0.0000001% THD and zero wow & flutter that has made modern day systems all sound a little artificial lol.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just had to google that one Strat as it's a beauty, and found this (!)