Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First class my...... derrière.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

First class my...... derrière.

Absolutely appalling, and I've said it for years that public transport of any kind should not have first class compartments.

Whatever next, first class lanes on the motorway? Most of us have done it I expect, stood on a train or squashed between carriages with kids whilst 'the posh with the dosh' sit in the half empty ones.

Disgraceful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40690621

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: First class my...... derrière.

Legacy Victorian stuff that needs phasing out.

I, along with others have been moved into a half empty 1st class rail carriage along with others by a train guard when second class was packed.

No charge.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

Whatever next, first class lanes on the motorway?

With the way some drive, you'd think the inner lane was the "First class lane" with all the expensive and powerful cars speeding along it like they owned it...

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

You'd think all seating on trains was first class going by the cost of a ticket these days...

Community Veteran

To be fair 2CV,  the drivers of expensive and powerful cars do pay more road tax. Hence should be accorded the better road conditions, i.e. middle lane.

If you go to a sweet shop and someone paying less than you gets equivalent sweets to yours, you'd be a bit miffed.  Wink

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Paying more road tax doesn't give the right to hog the overtaking lanes aswell as break the law and speed though... Wink

Fixes: 124

Should we not have a tiered delivery service, the more you pay the quicker you receive it?

I don't have an issue with 1st class travel. If you have the means to afford it then good luck. I don't but I don't begrudge those that do.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

As long as one doesn't subsidise the other.

There's a lot of that about.

And usually it's the hard pressed majority subsidising the soft feathered elite.

Minivanman
Hero

@Mav

"I don't have an issue with 1st class travel. If you have the means to afford it then good luck. I don't but I don't begrudge those that do"

And neither do I per se Mav but the issue here is first class travel on public transport that causes inconvenience to the majority. Of course you can travel first class and perhaps like the Queen do it your own train, or like the chap down the road with his top of the range SUV. The same also with paying more for postage but only as long as yours does not mean mine gets left on the shelf back at the sorting office and anyways, I see little difference in delivery times.

Can you afford it? Then knock yourself out, but not at my expense. Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

When it comes to postage, I see no difference between First & Second class, I've had 2nd arrive the next day from the other end of the country, and 1st take a few days to go a few towns over, so there is no point in there being a postal class system, it's all just a lottery of whether or not the sorting goes quickly or not, so I just use 2nd class cos it's cheaper...

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I noticed that 2nd class letters from anywhere in the country would take two days, except those from my bank less than ten minutes walk away which would take three days.  When I asked a postman he told me 2nd class letters were "held over" so they took longer to arrive than 1st class.  So much mail now carries no date stamp so it's hard to tell if this is still the case.