To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
12 REPLIES
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Re: First World Problem

It amuses me, I know I'm easily pleased, but the photo shows 2 bottle banks, 1 for green, 1 for clear glass.
But my local council when they collect the glass on the weekly bin day, will put all the glass into the same compartment on the wagon but insist on you separating them out at the bottle banks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Isn't that because bottle banks are normally run by a third party and not the council?
Razorback
Grafter

With our council you put all glass, plastic and metal items in one bin which they then tip into a big truck. I guess it all gets sorted out later.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Standardisation, what is that?? Huh
Round here, Green bin is for general refuse, Blue bin for uncontaminated paper & card (I.E. no fish & chip wrappers or pizza boxes), metals that are steel or aluminium cans & jar lids, 2x plastics as they always female-dog about "the wrong type of plastic", and the green box is for glass, but only jars, drinking glasses and bottles, no bulbs/CFLs/Fluo. tubes or window panes... Roll eyes
Razorback
Grafter

We actually have 2 recycling bins, a large one and a small one. You put paper and card in one and plastics, metal and glass in the other. You get to choose what which bin you use for each type but you can’t mix and match Wink
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Here we have
1. Green bin for garden and food waste
2. Blue box for glass (but not broken glass)
3. Pink bags for paper, cardboard, tins, aerosols, plastic bottles (but not ones that have contained food oils), plastic food trays.
4. White bag for batteries
5. Black bags for all the rest.
And our local council have the segregated bottle banks at their waste management centres aka council tips.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Razorback
With our council you put all glass, plastic and metal items in one bin which they then tip into a big truck. I guess it all gets sorted out later.

You saying that has made me wonder many times just how they deal with this at the sorting facility. Many of them employ people to sift through our rubbish on a conveyer belt. Now all those glass bottles and jars are going to arrive smashed to bits so surely thats somewhat dangerous for the manual handling staff?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

It's all automated at the start, glass goes through a sonic smasher thing (which uses sonic sound waves to shatter the glass into redneck diamonds) so is not a cut-hazard, workers pick off labels and other detritus that made it through the smasher, the glass then goes through a washing cycle to clean off leftover jam and marmite, metals go through sorters, with magnets picking up steel & iron materials out of the mix leaving aluminium, copper and other non-ferrous materials to go along the conveyor to the lackeys and again off to the washers before being squished into blocks, plastics go through a shredder and then dumped into big troughs of water in a flow to separate out anything that isn't plastic, which also washes it in the process, and then is either bailed up like straw or is ground up, melted and turned into pellets for making "Recycled plastic products" (aka chinese plastic), and paper & cardboard just gets turned into big bales of mixed stuff to either be burned, made into bum-shredding bogroll, or turned into the daily mail, but those two are interchangeable... Grin
Any workers picking off contaminants and whatnot are usually PPE'd up to and including the eyeballs, so the chance of laceration from glass and metals is minimal unless they grab something sharp and pointy and stab themselves, which is just silly... Grin
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

We have 3 bins -
brown  - garden waste
black - household rubbish
green - recyclable and thats all recyclable, glass, plastics, paper etc,,,,
Fixes: 47

We are provided with 3 containers:
1 black wheelie bin for general household waste
1 Blue wheelie bin for glass and cans
1 Blue box for card and paper
We have to purchase an annual green wheelie bin service for garden waste...I have.
I remember some time ago seeing a cartoon picture of a recycling centre.
There was a long high wall with a number of doors in it, each signed with a different type of rubbish.
On the other side of the wall was a single conveyor belt carrying everything to one huge container.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: twocvbloke
It's all automated at the start, glass goes through a sonic smasher thing

Assuming that all local authorities or county councils have one of those...
A year or two back they showed the local workers in my area sorting through it all by hand on a conveyer belt and throwing things into appropriate places for further processing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Assuming that all local authorities or county councils have one of those...

Or they haven't "outsourced" their waste disposal department... Grin