cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Olympic Venue Open

Community Veteran

First Olympic Venue Open

The first venue for the 2012 Olympics, the veladrome, was officially opened today.  Looks a fantastic Smiley Smiley
Olympic Veladrome
10 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: First Olympic Venue Open

bull excreta baffles brains
http://www.london2012.com/photos/2010/12/olympic-canoe-slalom-venue-completed-71463.php
Olympic Canoe Slalom venue completed
09 Dec 2010
itsme
Grafter

Have they put blue dye in the water. The only time I have seen water that colour is when I kayak in the Alps. Whitewater rivers in this country tend to be grey in colour. Must dust my kayak down and visit Lea Valley.
itsme
Grafter

I'm not sure if the complex is completely finished. I watched the World Canoe Championships on the TV at the end of last year and it was said that the GB were relocating to Lea Valley straight after the Championship as the course was finished but the associate buildings, groundwork and stands  were not.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not sure which program it was on, but last week on TV they had a Elf&Dafty reporter walking down the dry bed around the obstacles with a Safety float around his neck, just in case some other nutter turned the tap on
itsme
Grafter

Could you tell how deep it is? There is a section on the man-made course up North that if you roll you stand a could chance hitting your head. I saw this happen before got on for the first time, another kayaker was flipped over at a fast speed and he was straight out on the bank looking dazed and rubbing his head. Needless to say when we got to this section we did not play in the surf wave.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just negotiated the Olympic news items and found the opening ceremony news item from last December  http://www.london2012.com/news/2010/12/first-brand-new-london-2012-venue-completed.php
09 Dec 2010
HRH The Princess Royal was joined by London 2012 Organising Committee Chair Seb Coe, ODA Chairman John Armitt, Olympics Minister Hugh Robertson and LVRPA Chairman Derrick Ashley. A number of Team GB canoeists also attended the event and tried out the Olympic competition course for the first time.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

got a feeling from the TV that the centre line was about 6 foot, but you then had the "Rocks" the wernt that deep, some were out of the water
Community Veteran

just to underline, the veladrome is the first site to open at the Olympic Park. Great ceremony this morning.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

negotiated the Slalom again and found this
Sport: Canoe Slalom
Capacity: up to 12,000
Location: 30km north of the Olympic Park, on the edge of the 1,000-acre River Lee Country Park – part of the 26-mile long, 10,000 acre Lee Valley Regional Park in Hertfordshire
New or existing?: New, permanent venue
During the Games
Two new canoe slalom courses are being built for the Games: a 300m competition course and a 160m intermediate/training course. A new 10,000sq m lake is also being constructed. This will feed a system of pumps that will provide the 300m course with 15 cubic metres of water per second. The white water will be created by these pumps and obstacles placed in the course

Hows that for water pumps - 15cum per second
itsme
Grafter

This is at 300cum flow rate