Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Moon Landing - for those who don't remember it

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

First Moon Landing - for those who don't remember it

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/
From the About page at the website:
This project is an online interactive featuring the Eagle lunar landing. The presentation includes original Apollo 11 spaceflight video footage, communication audio, mission control room conversations, text transcripts, and telemetry data, all synchronized into an integrated audio-visual experience.
Until today, it has been impossible to comprehensively experience mankind’s shining exploratory accomplishment in a singular experience. We have compiled hours of content available from public domain sources and various NASA websites. Thamtech staff and volunteers generously devoted their time to transcribe hours of speech to text. By using simultaneous space and land based audio and video, transcripts, images, spacecraft telemetry, and biomedical data—this synchronized presentation reveals the Moon Shot as experienced by the astronauts and flight controllers.
Our goal is to capture a moment in history so that generations may now relive the events with this interactive educational resource. The world remembers the moon landing as a major historical event but often fails to recognize the scale of the mission. This interactive resource aims to educate visitors while engaging them with the excitement of manned-spaceflight to build a passion for scientific exploration.
Visitors begin the experience by hearing the words of Buzz Aldrin while simultaneously viewing the moon through the lunar module window. Moments later, the audience hears capsule communicator Charlie Duke inform flight director Gene Kranz that the astronauts are on schedule to start the descent engine. Throughout the presentation, visitors are able to customize their experience by jumping to key moments in the timeline. The timeline guides visitors to the crucial moments in the mission, including: program alarms (computer alerts), famous Go No-Go polls in the control room, low level fuel milestones, and landing.
“The Eagle has Landed.” Neil Armstrong’s words signal a technical milestone and successful execution of John F. Kennedy’s vision to land a man on the moon safely. Prior to these famous words, visitors see the synchronized audio communications, transcripts, video of the lunar module’s casting a shadow on the lunar surface, and biomedical telemetry of Armstrong’s heart rate surpassing 150 beats per minute!
The footprints from Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong on July 20, 1969 paved the way for five additional successful trips to the lunar surface over the following years. Thamtech takes pride in providing visitors with a glimpse into this and mankind’s enduring spirit for exploration.
I know it isn't a railway but Sprite might like it
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: First Moon Landing - for those who don't remember it

That is pretty amazing stuff.... only vaguely remember it live... but the work that has gone into compiling all that stuff..... fantastic.
Thanks for posting Jim.  Wink
Fixes: 47

That is absolutely amazing, thanks Jim Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Wow!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

excellent Smiley, thanks Jim
Edit:- I forgotton that CAPCOM (Charlie Duke) flew on 16 http://www.charlieduke.net/about_charlie.htm
Community Veteran

And here's me thinking that Buzz Aldrin was some kind of illegal drug!  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'l be sure to take a look! (Sorry for slow reply, back in hospital last night until 3am - all ok but nasty scare)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

It's hard to believe that some people still think the moon landings were a hoax.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I remember sitting up through the night waiting for them to go down the ladder - all those checks. then "a small step for Man...."
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
rja66
Rising Star

Quote from: billnotben
It's hard to believe that some people still think the moon landings were a hoax.

I actually think it is hard to believe it wasn't a hoax. For those that believe mankind didn't actually land on the moon there is a repeat documentary on Thursday 6th June on Channel 5 from 8:00pm to 9:00pm entitled 'Did We Land on the Moon?' :- Documentary examining claims that the Moon landing was an entirely political invention which never happened in reality. Believers and conspiracy theorists present their arguments and evidence, including for the first time on television the so-called 'fake photos'. The film also investigates the mysterious deaths of ten NASA astronauts in the months leading up to the historic mission
I have seen two documentaries on this subject, one better than the other and i'm not sure which this is but both were very interesting and it certainly made me doubt that we ever did achieve the landing. As I recall, waving USA flags, perfectly framed photographs taken by astronauts in bulky spacesuits and well lit with no shadows with the sun in front of them, also no blast craters left after take off were just a few pieces of evidence put forward to make us think it was indeed a hoax. Faking it was the only way to win the race at the time.
For those that have seen the film 'Capricorn One' it might make you think how we could be fooled. Why wouldn't we believe it was happening, it was on TV after all....
itsme
Grafter

1 fake maybe but 5 other missions to the moon faked? very doubtful.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for posting, remember it well. I Think some chap won a lot of money as he bet man would land on the moon before 1970 !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I remember WANTING to watch it live, but I was too young to stay up that late  Cry
rja66
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
1 fake maybe but 5 other missions to the moon faked? very doubtful.

Yes, I think they were suggesting the race to be the 'first' on the moon was so important to them that it was faked, not necessarily any of the missions that have happened since.