Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Holiday Abroad.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

First Holiday Abroad.

First holiday we ever had abroad was in my mid twenties....Majorca....package holiday. (Late 1960’s)

one star hotel, swimming pool so small you were lucky to find a place to stand, forget swimming.

Meals served by a waiter, free wine, and a en-suite, fantastic holiday, great atmosphere.

But at my age the thought of going abroad would be just a hassle, packed airports, packed planes, and crowds of people everywhere you go....forget that...

These days quite happy to drive up to the Lake District and walk across the fells, no crowds, no traffic, no endless chatter, just peace & Tranquility......and free !

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: First Holiday Abroad.

Never been on a package holdiday but never fancied one either so....

Never had a first holiday abroad although I did in later years take all of my kids to visit friends in France. Any 'real' holidays we've had have always been in the UK as never been a sun seeker either - and there is so much to see and enjoy here I'll be a knob of butter melting in the sun before I spend hundreds to be a baked potatoe to go with it!

Little bro' on the other hand has just set off in his new camper for a month on 'the continent'. Methinks he might have trouble getting back without having to go into home based quarantine given the news we are getting.

No holiday anywhere this year but perhaps next if we get past the current crisis.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I could happily live life on the open road in a motorhome.. i find bricks and mortar are a pain. Why would anyone want to stay in one place - through the winter with dull depressing weather?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

OK for short spells, but away from mainline plumbing in order to, ahem, take care of those little extras?

Canal boats have the same issue but then there are plenty of pump outs, but here in the UK not so easy out on the road which is why so many take them overseas as they are much better catered for from what I have seen.

Oh yes, and theres all that rubbish and a big problem in Scotland apparently. 

Not knocking them, but like all things there is a downside.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@7up wrote:

I could happily live life on the open road in a motorhome

And people do just that, living the "van life", travelling about living in a custom-built motorhome out of a van, though the current problems with certain issues have restricted a lot of them and created too many clickbait videos on youtube about it, but I've been watching one lovely woman known as "Tinie Planet" on youtube who has lived a year in her van, and is currently building another, as the Transit she used was too much of a Ford... 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA4OjMkk3uaRk9tLFjfsgbQ

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 25

First holiday abroad?

Barmouth, near Aberystwyth. Must go back one day...  🙂

There’s no plaice like Ω
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

I think when I was in cubs it was somewhere in France I am sure it was 1987. Sure it was a Dover to Calias job. Before the channel tunnel of course.

I didn't even have a passport then. Back in those days you could just fill in a form, pay the Post Office a few quid and get it stamped.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Back in the mid to late 50s doing the Dover to Calais trip was many kids their first experience of overseas travel.

My old school back then had such a trip, but knowing my parents could not really afford to pay for me to go I told 'em I would be seasick if I went. Most of my class mates went and I cannot remember what we did, but staying home from school was not an option I had counted on and hoped for so.... D'oh!

Same thing a couple of years later I think it was, but then it was a trip to Switzerland for a week which was way beyond our means but what I can recall is some of my class mates coming back raving about something called Duvets.

By the 70s came I'd left home of course and my parents by then could afford to take two of my much younger siblings abroad to Spain with them on one of those early cheap package holidays made complete by bringing one of those obligatory big hats back.

And now, the world and his wife are jetting off around the world - except not at the moment if they've got any sense!

Global warming, what global warming? 😛

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

My first trip abroad was over night and back again with a day in Amsterdam in the mid 70s on a P&O ferry from Hull.

Not sure why I thought thst was a good idea. 🤣

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@Minivanman wrote:

Canal boats have the same issue but then there are plenty of pump outs,

Lived on a 70ft Narrowboat, for FIVE YEARS.. travelled many miles, stayed in some beautiful countryside, enjoyed a load of canal side hostelries, made a few friends  along the way, gained a lot of self confidence, enjoyed every minute..  even during the winters when the canal froze outside and we could not move.. Would go back and do it all again.. wish I had started doing it half a century ago, instead of leaving it so late in life...

Here we are moored up on the Thames for a tea break...

White Swan on the Thames a.jpg

Here we are moored up at Aldermaston Wharf   ( near Reading )

White Swan at Aldermaston 1994 a.jpg

Pics taken in 1994   and have suffered somewhat .....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Blimey, that's a big one! 😉

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@Minivanman Yup !   70ft from end to end, along the waterline.... weighed 13.5 tons, when craned out for a bottom scrape and repaint...

Powered by an Ex Royal Navy WW2  Fast Patrol Boat 2 stroke diesel engine.. (Coventry Climax , I think it was ) . sounded like a sewing machine when running...and often comments from other boat users was..." Is that powered by an electric motor  ? "  

I do miss it... Cry

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 47

Back to holidays aboard 😉 Do day trips count? My first was in May '13 to Copenhagen/Malmo. Loooong day, but very nice. Have done Venice, Amsterdam and the IoM since, and was going on the Chunnel to somewhere this year, but that is scuppered.Cry

John
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@jab1

Tunnel open, but not easy to book.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 47

Thought it was, @Minivanman . Trouble is, I would have been going from my 'second home' - friends in Brighton - but can't go there either as she is in the 'super high risk' group with this CV19 thing.

John