cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Games Played - Inspired By OldJim

MuppetGrinder
Grafter

First Games Played - Inspired By OldJim

Hey, I was reading OldJim's thread about that old game he was looking for, and It got me thinking about some of the golden oldies I used to love.  So, rather than try and hijack a mod's thread, I thought I would open up some idle chatter about what games people played way back in the day, be it Atari, C64, BBC or coin-op.
To start the ball rolling I think the first game I ever played was "Boulderdash" on the C64, and when I actualy got to having money to go to the arcade "Black Tiger" was my coin-op of choice, progressing in later life to "Golden Axe" and "Wonder Boy in Monster Land".
So what's everyone elses fond memories of ye olde games?
58 REPLIES
StickyMick
Grafter

Re: First Games Played - Inspired By OldJim

Ooooh, we're going back a bit now. Can't remember the names of the games but they were played on my Vectrex, although I know there was an Asteroid style one.
Fixes: 104

It Supersportic on a Grandstand for me I believe..
Will Moderate For Thanks
James
Grafter

I really can't remember.
I have earlyish memories of playing Tracknfield on the Arcade machines, but we had a BBC in '85, but I can't rememeber any of the games we had on it.
I was 5 Tongue
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

I was 4 when I played Boulderdash and I can remember that  Tongue

Any true game would remember, those that don't grow up and play on xbox's
adiewoo has lit the touchpaper and stands well back
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Cant remember the name but used to play a game on a Dec PDP 11 - pre PC times that involved solving text clues in a cave system, later ported to some PC's and later with graphics
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

My first one was called Ping or something like it where you batted a ball about the screen using the up and down keys. Then we got new computers and it was unplayable as the speed was fixed by the CPU I think
Community Veteran

colossal cave - a text based game on cp/m.  it didn't migrate well to other platforms.  many hours of plugh! and xyzzy!
Community Veteran

Not my earliest games, but I remember playing Ghosts and Ghouls on the Speccy, with a mate until the wee small hours.  Before that - Chucky egg? on the ZX81!  and also a maze game where you were chased by a T Rex - very wierd.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Jameseh
I have earlyish memories of playing Tracknfield on the Arcade machines

Hmm, what was that TV programme where people used to play Track and Field and also Paperboy?
I was in the C64 camp - Some of the games I used to play a fair bit was GoGo The Ghost, Ghostbusters, Wizball, Bubble Bobble, Monty On The Run and Paradroid. Loved Paradroid.
Takes me back to Christmas 1987 and getting Warhawk by Firebird.
I remember upwrapping that and playing it Christmas Day. Good old £1.99 software Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Alex
Hmm, what was that TV programme where people used to play Track and Field and also Paperboy?

I think it was Going Live! or something at about the same era, pretty sure it was a BBC1 show on Saturday mornings.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I dunno, I remember a game show where they used (I think) the Jump level from 720 as one of the rounds to play on.
Man, early gaming... I'm lucky, I grew up as computers did (born in '79). My dad used to bring a BBC B home from work a lot, and we had snapper, frogger, killer gorilla, rocket raid, all those old classics. Mind I do remember being jealous of a mate up the road with a NES and super mario bros/duck hunt. First computer I owned was a rubber keyed spectrum 48k, and I loved it. Speccy commando is probably the best version ever made, and not just because the grenades looked exactly like water balloons.
Having said THAT, I remember being I don't know how old but I think it was single digits and on the top floor of coles when the Atari ST had come out; they had one running Marble Madness.
I stood at that machine and played that game for 2 hours straight, I don't even remember what my parents were buying but I do remember vowing to do anything I could to get my hands on one of them. Granted when I did it didn't come with marble madness and it was swiftly swapped for an amiga...
It doesn't end badly though. Atari released a load of old arcade classics on the PS2 and it was on one of those compilations. I almost crea... I mean, I got very excited when I saw that and bought it instantly, and can honestly say that playing it with a PS2 analogue pad is much, much better than using a mouse or joystick Cheesy.
Marble Madness FTW!

Duck hunt was amazing with that gun!
Did you ever play marble madness in the arcade with the big rollerball for control? I'm hoping Marble Madness HD comes out on the PS3, or could be good fun with a Wii-mote  Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
Any true game would remember, those that don't grow up and play on xbox's
adiewoo has lit the touchpaper and stands well back

I know the temptation is strong to take every opertunity to bash Xbox'ers, but that path leads to the dark side, plus - there are plenty of posts for this pupose already Tongue
@ OldJim - I remember a game on the atari ST that was a clone of the one you are talking about, though I think the Atari version was called Pong.  I had a simmilar experiance to the one you did though, with clock cycles seeming to dictate game speed.  I was so happy when I got my shiny new ZX128 till I found that my Jetset Willy from my old 48 went faster than the eye could see and certainly faster than any human could play - gutted I was!
@orbrey - My all time fave on the Amiga would have to be MoonStone, with second and third BugBomber and Mortal Kombat (yes, the original groundbreaker in excessive computer generated gore) respectivly.  Alltime unbeatable awsomeness on the NES is the Legend of Zelda and the origininal The Adventure of Link - Cart's you could save to! Smiley