cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Direct & Plusnet, Yorkshire’s finest.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Our main bank is First Direct
It is by far the best bank we use, or have ever used.
Not only is it UK (Yorkshire) based, but its Customer Services are also UK based, Yorkshire or Scotland… so in general we both understand each other !!
None of this Barclaycard Indian CS frustration, after a few goes at this, we closed our Barclays Bank accounts and cards, when they transferred CS to India.
They lost a lot of business, a lot....

If First Direct detect a suspected fraud, they ring us, having placed a hold on the transaction, they apparently have algorithms that flag up suspect traders / websites.
No fraud ever committed, just an occasional check usually with overseas websites.
If we are going away, on Holiday or Business, a quick phone call to them alerts any potential foreign transactions, with dates and locations, and we place a general limit on expenditure whilst abroad, lower than the UK limit we place.
(We also have prepaid Post Office Credit cards for general use abroad)
(And PAYG phones !)     
We get text alerts, and whilst abroad, we lower the trigger points to zero, so any transactions are texted to us daily once FD have received a payment request. Not necessarily immediate with foreign transactions, but a useful check.

First Direct usually answer the phone within a ring or two, whether calling from the UK or abroad.
And the person that answers the phone usually can answer any query, without having to go through menus, or being passed from pillar to post.
They are exceedingly well trained and informed I find.
And they do ring you back….
Their Travel Insurance is also commendable, easy to set up, without too many restrictions, and covers a wide age range.
So many other benefits too, which I shall remember once I’ve posted this !!
And no, we haven’t availed ourselves of the parent HSBC Swiss Bank Accounts !!

First Direct as a bank is on a par with Plusnet as an ISP for excellent customer service I find, it must be the Yorkshire connection !!
Occasional Plusnet technical query, anytime day or night, I find is usually answered very quickly, by someone who knows what they are talking about, and any problems quickly resolved.
Again, they are exceedingly well trained and informed I find.
And they know their stuff !
And they do ring you back….
12 REPLIES
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: First Direct & Plusnet, Yorkshire’s finest.

First Direct always come first in the regular Which? mag surveys for customer satisfaction. If my bank ever gave me any hassle I would switch to them.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Thought I'd have a look at where they keep their branches, and it looks like HSBC does that stuff for them, and given their recently publicised financial fraud, erm, no ta... Shocked
acr
Rising Star

First Direct use HSBC's branches because they are a standalone Division of HSBC Bank (they are not even a separate company like BT/Plusnet).
The one small failing with First Direct is that I find the layout and functionality of their Internet Banking to not be as good as others. It seems very dated in appearance and even HSBC's own Internet Banking does a much better job with greater functionality and better layout.
You can't beat First Direct's telephone service though.
sjptd
Grafter

We've only been baking with them for 25 years so maybe a bit early to say yet, but they have been excellent so far.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Kremmen
First Direct always come first in the regular Which? mag surveys for customer satisfaction. If my bank ever gave me any hassle I would switch to them.

I've been banking with the same bank for over 30 years and have only needed to contact them about 3 times in that period so if I had to do a customer satisfaction survey depending on the questions they may score low.
Community Veteran

Quote from: sjptd
We've only been baking with them for 25 years so maybe a bit early to say yet, but they have been excellent so far.
Same here, since October 1989 very soon after they opened.  Cool
Community Veteran

We've only been baking with them for 25 years

Cheesy  Fairy cakes at all?
launton
Grafter

I'm with Nationwide.  No shareholders to please.  Wink
Community Veteran

When I opened my first bank account I was taken by my father to meet the bank manager to see whether I qualified to have a current account  Smiley
I have always fought for having a local branch leaving banks when they have pulled out locally. Its the shops and small businesses which suffer most.
But I feel a hypocrite now because I do most of my banking online Undecided
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
St3
All Star

Cheesy
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 125

Quote from: sjptd
We've only been baking with them for 25 years...

Did you save up a lot of dough?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

He obviously didn't kneed it!