cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Bus to target fare dodgers in Glasgow

idlewis
Grafter

First Bus to target fare dodgers in Glasgow

First bus are going to employ bus inspectors to target people who are not paying the correct fare.  People who are found guilty will be hit with a £60 fine.  Glasgow will be the only place in the country to do this.
10 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: First Bus to target fare dodgers in Glasgow

sounds like a good job for  okrzynska
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I'm puzzled, How can you get on a bus without paying the correct fare?
Community Veteran

Inspectors are on occasion found on London's buses too – though they have become an increasingly rare sight over the last few years.
idlewis
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
I'm puzzled, How can you get on a bus without paying the correct fare?

People put in whatever they can afford then people stay on the bus past the scheduled stop where the driver thought and while the driver is busy with the passenger coming on the bus, the offenders get off the bus or the driver says it is Y amount rather than X amount but the same offenders usually young people go on a bus with the same offence but with a different driver.                      
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ah I see, Thanks for that idlewis, Does this mean That people who get let on the bus for free from the driver for whatever reason ( ex good friend ) will be caught out?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

From experiencing this among other drivers who have done this and got sacked for their trouble. It is a particularly stupid thing to do. However, the chances of being found doing it are for the most part slim.
Most inspectors are (deliberately) ex-drivers (some grind axes) and know all the tricks.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
johpal
Grafter

First Bus do this in Sheffield; the "fine" is a "Standard Fare" of, I think 50 pounds. Risk of meeting an inspector? Virtually nil; more of them on the Stagecoach Supertram.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I would not say Its a stupid thing to do, Just a perk of the job, On occasion I have been let on for nowt when I've had a mate driving that route that day, And as far as I'm aware the bus driver can let on family for nowt, Limited to a max number of however many people though.
James
Grafter

Quote from: johpal
First Bus do this in Sheffield; the "fine" is a "Standard Fare" of, I think 50 pounds. Risk of meeting an inspector? Virtually nil; more of them on the Stagecoach Supertram.

Yep - But you don't actually have to pay on getting onto a tram.
I've seen a couple of inspectors on First/Stagecoach busses in Sheffield.  In 18 months of getting the bus to work!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Steve
And as far as I'm aware the bus driver can let on family for nowt,

Yes, most bus companies have reciprocal staff/family passes, that most other companies honour on production of the pass. I had one issued when I worked for Arriva...but had to hand it back when I left. However, my present company -an independent- doesn't recognise any of them, to the chagrin of a couple of family pass school kids who attempt to get on my bus with them, get very upset when charged the full fare (since they don't have half-price saver cards) They now wait for the following "company" bus.
PS. lucky you to get an occasional free ride. You might stop to consider the consequences to your friend if he gets caught doing it...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.