cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Aid - Sticking Plaster

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

First Aid - Sticking Plaster

It really annoys me..... whenever you need to put a first aid sticking plaster on a wound, especially on a finger or thumb, there is never enough "length" across the plaster for it to overlap onto the other end, Unless you are five years old, and have spindly fingers and thumbs ! 

This means you need to have two plasters .... even if you use those "cut it yourself strips"..  is this some kind of sales ploy... so that you will have to buy more plasters to ensure that it wont come off, five minutes after applying it.  ? ?

What other things like this annoy you?  ( no personal attacks, please play nicely ! ! )... Roll eyes

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: First Aid - Sticking Plaster

Bogroll (fresh, unused, of course!) and duct tape, instant plasters right there and with virtually unlimited length... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Try this instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Germolene-Skin-Liquid-Plaster-20ml/dp/B001PMPXT0/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstor...

There are several others listed called Newskin, which seem to be very, very expensive, perhaps they're multi-packs. However I've been using it for donkeys years ever since the engineering company (cuts and abrasions are a way of life in engineering) I worked for after leaving school used it. I believe this to be the same stuff, the ingredients are much the same. 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

They don't stick like they used to so I wrap Mefix around them which would sort out your problem as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mefix-Dressing-Retention-Adhesive-Fabric/dp/B0088RNATA also available in 5cm wide

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

twocvbloke wrote:

Bogroll (fresh, unused, of course!) and duct tape, instant plasters right there and with virtually unlimited length... Smiley

Similar.... a couple of days ago, I was using a router and the wood slipped, causing the router to gouge off some skin on my finger... !  Ooops !..

I used a small pad made of kitchen roll, and insulating tape ( red of course ). !  to provide first aid dressing... worked a treat... just removed it and all the shredded skin has been "set" back (almost) properly, and beginning to heal,...  Looking a bit white...so I decided on the cut it yourself replacement ...    Hence my thread..

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Some packs of multi-sized plasters include many that are so small that the lint would only cover the smallest wound which probably wouldn't need a plaster in the first place.

Minivanman
Hero

Well when it comes to plasters, it's trying open that individual package with a pair scissors in one hand while trying to stop the blood dripping all over the place. Had that palaver the other day after slicing my finger as well as the bread.

As for those small round plasters. what's the point?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

As for those small round plasters. what's the point?

Usually the sharp end of a needle from the vampire at the GP surgery... Shocked

Minivanman
Hero

Another good point, but my home is not a GP surgery Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

Minivanman wrote:

Well when it comes to plasters, it's trying open that individual package with a pair scissors in one hand while trying to stop the blood dripping all over the place. Had that palaver the other day after slicing my finger as well as the bread.

Similar situation with me the other day when my hand slipped opening a tin of rice causing a deep and painful cut in my thumb. If only these plasters came with a spare handTongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

Those corned beef tins used to be famous for that - perhaps they still are? 

Community Veteran

I'm trying to think of when I last actually cut myself badly enough to need a plaster, and, I can't really recall, last bad cut I do remember was on my foot when I stepped on a piece of glass (which came from my old Hobgoblin pint glass which I dropped and thought I'd cleaned up all the pieces), but, I didn't use a plaster on that, just grabbed a clean sock and pressed it on there to stem the bleeding, no plaster involved, but in the past I've usually cut my left thumb & index finger with Mr. Stabby the kitchen knife (named that cos that is ALWAYS the one I accidentally cut myself with!), and even then, if I did plaster it up it was only temporary just to hold it together while I finished what I was doing (after thoroughly de-blooding the food I was preparing for myself) and to let it glue itself together...

Not really cut myself on tins either, maybe the odd nick here and there, but not plaster-worthy... Grin

nanotm
Pro

spray plasters are fantastic for ease of application and speed of sealing the wound, but don't use it without first putting something into your mouth to bite down on and muffle the stream of expletives they will engender you to set forth Evil

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

If you are regularly using sharp tools (I use a chainsaw)  blood clotting powder is a good additional to the first aid kit. Here's one example. If you get a bad cut with heavy bleeding these, in conjunction with a dressing, can save your life.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Chain saw? Sounds like you'd need a tourniquet!  Shocked