cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fireworks!

jmd
Grafter

Fireworks!

Sorry but I am annoyed this evening.  Someone near me is obviously having a Halloween Party with Fireworks!  and I have a frightened little dog who won't go out for a wee!!
I expected that we would get Fireworks a few days early and because Bonfire Night is on a Thursday that we would then get them until the weekend but was not expecting them tonight.
I just wish they were banned altogether.
jim:green sorry - title spelling corrected  as it was getting on my nerves  Embarrassed mod:end
80 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Firreworks!

I was also a little surprised to hear a lot of fireworks tonight and I thought I'd got the date wrong Huh
It was a little like driving today and hearing adverts on the radio with Christmas songs in Sad
Community Veteran

Santiago and I certainly agree about the early fireworks too… I wouldn't say I despise them enough to wish they were banned – I can see that there is something nice about them (the pretty rather than noisy ones anyway) – but I do wish their use was a little more restrained.
Community Veteran

I don't like fireworks, each to their own of course but I just don't get it.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jmdlp
[Snip] I just wish they were banned altogether.

Join the club, I wish that non Firework displays were banned.  There is Fireworks going off now in Middlesbrough.
P.S.  You spelt Fireworks wrong.
scootie
Grafter

funny i was saying earlyer that the fireworks have come late here.
we normal get  parties and such setting them of a couple of weeks before now but this is the first night ive heard them this year.
get your self a labrardor retriever from a shooting esate jmdlp, theres no problems with fireworks then or it could of bein that his a real boys dog and wouldnt stay in doors when he was 6 months old on fireworks night and ended up down the pub's firework display loving it.

just glad he never did owt like this  Grin
Fixes: 101

I love fireworks.. we get them pretty much from Diwali through to New Year round here though which can be a bit excessive Roll eyes
However looking forward to the display next weekend.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Around this part of the world next weekend, there must be a couple of dozen or more organised firework displays, judging by the way they are heavily attended and, jam-up the local roads most years these displays are as popular as ever.
I must admit I quite like a well presented firework display but, I do think its about time fireworks were taken off public sale altogether and displays only organised (both large and small) by licensed operators. I find it odd that in this PC orientated world that seems to want to ban everything in sight, says nothing about the sale of violent, dangerous high explosives to anybody (purporting) to be over 18.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

Well, I have never liked fireworks, but these tonight have been particularly noisy and are still going on and so my little dog is getting more and more stressed.  I have had TV on louder than normal to drown them out but she has such sensitive hearing [she can hear a biscuit drop from a great distance!] that she can obviously hear them all the time. 
I do think years ago they wer not so loud but now they are more powerful and therefore more dangerous.
And, I fully expect her to have a puddle in the house as I don't think she can last much longer withour going for a squat outside!!  and each time I get her out, a firework goes off and she streaks back into the house!
oh well we will have to go to bed and she will have to keep her legs crossed until morning poor girl!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes quite right jmdlp, did somewhat miss your point about pets. As it happens our cat doesn't seem particularly upset by them. But I do understand that many pets large and small can be very frightened by fireworks.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I agree with most that has been said, however it is normal that some people have them the Saturday before and some the Saturday after, what is unusual, is that it is also Haloween, that should also be banned.  Someone out the back of me has spent a lot on large bangs tonight went on for a few hours but stopped just before ten. Not much that you can do as that conforms to the law
Community Veteran

Just be glad that they stopped at a reasonable time – I'll eat my non-existent hat if we don't have one go off at 2am tonight.
Bojangles
Grafter

We sat in the garden with our cat last year for a bit so he'd get used to them. He was fine with them this year just slept through them. I too am a huge firework fan and always look forward to this time of year however I really can't stand Halloween. 
N/A

get your self a labrardor retriever from a shooting esate jmdlp

Asbo is not 100% correct in this, unless the operative words 'from a shooting estate' are of particular relevance.
My friends have been breeding and showing Labrador Retrievers for decades and it seems to me that the breed is not totally immune to fireworks sounds.
Although I detest the firework season these days it is not nearly as bad as it was - we used to have to endure it from the end of September.
Where I live we had fireworks last night but no children knocking on the door asking for treats.
The Cairns were well tucked up in a bedroom with the television on and they coped OK.
Have tried the plugin to calm the dogs and a herb remedy with no luck. The only thing that works is a tablet from the vet's. Unfortunately they are quite zonked and end up a bit wobbly.
Oh well, it will soon be over I suppose.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: jmdlp
I have a frightened little dog who won't go out for a wee!!

Yup - we have two ex-rescue collies. Sammy is a bit surprised by fireworks but not really too bothered. Lucy, although old and deaf, goes into shivering panic mode whenever she hears any loud fireworks (or thunder or shooting).
We've had a bit of success with the loud noise CDs you can get over the 'net or from any decent pet supplies shop which. if played on a decent hi-fi over a period before late October, gets the dogs acclimatised to noise a bit.
Another surprisingly useful tool is Bach's Rescue Remedy which, although meant for humans, works really well on dogs - just a couple of drops on a doggy treat calms them down quite nicely. Handy also if you have a dog that gets stressed by car travel.