Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fireworks sales ban.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Fireworks sales ban.

Is the banning of fireworks a good idea, or is it just a nanny state listening to spoilsports.

The news was that Sainsbury's were going to stop selling them to the public, but following on from a petition submitted some months ago it is about to be debated in Parliament t'day 

Nothing like cutting it fine is there.

We had them for our children when they were tiny, and I can well remember the times we had as kids building a bonfire on Knutsford Heath back in the 50s followed by toffee apples on the night that had been made by Matron.- and then those fireworks of course and lot's of 'em. 

Safety first of course as it does seem we have more than our fair share of idiots these days, but oh what fun we had especially with those exploding bangers. Our favorite trick as youngsters was to secretly stuff a lighted one into a mates saddle bag at school and wait for it to go off as he peddled down the road!

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
39 REPLIES 39
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Fireworks sales ban.

For my 10ps worth Yes without a doubt. They are far too dangerous in the hands of idiots and regrettably we have more than our share of them here in the UK.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Agreed..

Fireworks should only be sold to those holding official firework displays....

Some people must have plenty of money to spend when you look at the price of some of the more expensive fireworks available to the public.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Interesting.... We cannot have a gun, unless we have a gun licence.

We cannot carry a knife ( bladed object -as the police would call it) in a public place.

We can (legally)  buy explosives, and use them whenever and wherever we like but it is against the law to blow up parliament. !

Strat
Fixes: 514

I would definitely say yes and restrict them to licensed organised events... we used to go to a council bonfire but we no longer have those.

One thing that has ruined firework/bonfire night is that it is now firework season with discharges starting around early October and going on until late November.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0 (64-bit)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

... and that as they say is a concensus of opinion.

Motion passed. 😉

Strat
Fixes: 514

Second reading, what day?

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0 (64-bit)

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yeah right, do people actually think (trying to) restrict sales to limited people actually makes any difference?

Though I do understand the danger, it will be a sad day when the PC Brigade decide the only thing we can light is a candle. Oh well some people are falling for it here. Lets ban fireworks, any sort of bonfires and why not candels whist we're at it.

I give up.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Nothing to do with being PC @Alex  it's a matter of safety in the world of idiots we now inhabit.

I have a near neighbour who has never ever as far as I know in the last ten years that I have lived here, put rubbish out for the bin bags collections on Monday mornings. Go out on a dark night however (and even sometimes in the day) and you can more often than not smell the acrid smoke of his bonfires. Now that is just weird and totally uneccessary. 

Ban such bonfires? You bet your life I would.

I have a natural dislike of what has become known as 'the nanny state' but some regulations are needed as I'm sure you will agree. It's just a case of proportion. 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@Minivanman wrote:

Nothing to do with being PC @Alex  it's a matter of safety in the world of idiots we now inhabit.

<snip>

I have a natural dislike of what has become known as 'the nanny state' but some regulations are needed as I'm sure you will agree. It's just a case of proportion.  

Author Rick Cook wrote:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

It's applicable generally.  😐

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Alex
Community Veteran

Pretty true @Minivanman and @198kHz 

As a computer programmer myself, I have to agree with you both.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sad to say I think fireworks are past their sell by date. More idiots around today? Not sure I agree with that.

I still remember quite vividly wondering around in the dark throwing bangers with my little mates until a six foot policeman grabbed me by the shoulders. Then looming over us marched us home to our parents.

Today same idiots but what's missing is looming six foot policemen.

Though if pushed I'd probably say that the idiots seem to have gotten older. Rather than the little idiots of my day.

Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

Problem is the more of a nanny state you have the more people stop thinking for themselves. We are gradually breeding out common sense.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yeah, I am not too old yet. I remember my dad teaching me about bangers and lighting them in your hands then throwing them. Note to everyone that was in a garden.

I can think of a few places (some in London) which are RAF (better not say what that means or I will get told off), where I guess that is common.

When I've had to speak to the police (nope not because I have done anything wrong, because of someone deceased - I will say no more there) they have been fine.

Just shows you in life, if you treat people with respect you'll get it back. That is exactly what I do in life and you'll get it back from me if you do.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Point taken about idiots and probably the wrong word to use. Less 'socially responsible' maybe.

More aggravation around that's for sure - or at least that's how it seems.