cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firework Season

Fixes: 47

Firework Season

I had forgotten that it is firework season.

The Americans have their  NRA supporting the right to bear arms.

We seem to have something similar which supports the right to bear fireworks and discharge them at any time between October and December inclusive.

I remember a time long long ago when fireworks for personal use were only available for a few days before the 5th of November.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Firework Season

You'd think it was a warzone round here with the pops, cracks and booms going on, I hate this time of year, people buy fireworks, their kids get hold of them and they go around setting them off, resulting in a lot of very peed off people who are sick to their back teeth of hearing, and being shocked out of their skin, by them...Roll eyes

I thought maliciously detonating explosives was classed as terrorism these days anyway?Crazy

Champnet
Rising Star

Round here it’s firework season the whole year round.

A certain religious group seem to think they can let them off as and when they like........

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Burns night (25th January) seems to be celebrated with fireworks here now, although my Scottish friends tell me that it's not a tradition they are familiar with.  So the noise doesn't stop after 1st January but goes on for nearly another month.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The smoke from the celebration bonfires and fireworks should be included in the national statistics for pollution. Most people know the day after bonfire night is normally "misty".

As to Guy Fawkes Night fireworks should be limited to between 18:00 and 23:00 on the 5th November, any other fireworks should be subject to a licence issued by the local council to individuals for specific locations. In this approach it would be possible to shutdown people who repeatedly show poor consideration to others. You'd also be able to steer such events away from areas that are sensitive to noise.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
harrym1byt
Rising Star

A pet complaint of mine for years, but the problem does seem to be reducing. I have not yet heard any fireworks so far here.

A few years ago, we had an inconsiderate neighbour letting off commercial grade fireworks in their back garden, plus a monster fire.

Biggest issue, would seem to be the distress they cause to animals. We have a pair of border collies, but luckily neither is upset by the noise - in fact both pester to go out to to better enjoy it. We have not been so lucky with previous dogs, who have cowered for days in the house. 

Fixes: 125

When I was a kid with few, if any, fireworks throughout the rest of the year Bonfire Night was something to always be anticipated with eagerness. Huge bonfire, proper Guys (none of this football with a mask on rubbish) made from my dad's old clothes stuffed with paper and bigger than me, plus baked potatoes, bangers (the edible kind) and sparklers.

There were a few idiots throwing the odd firework around but generally the adults took control and a good had was time by allWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

@harrym1byt Good point about animals as years ago people knew when to keep pets indoors.

Mav wrote:
There were a few idiots throwing the odd firework around but generally the adults took control and a good had was time by allWink

I was one of those idiots but I paid the price.

I lit a penny banger and prepared to throw it.

I wasn't quite quick enough and the banger went off close to my right ear damaging my ear-drum.

I can still hear ok but loud sounds cause a buzzing in the affected ear.

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

It was only 2 nights ago that the police were at the top of our road. 4 youths arrested for throwing fireworks into a dog kennel. The dog was badly burned but will survive and according to dogs owners, it was too scared of the noise to leave it's kennel. Sorry if I sound like a 'kill-joy'..but banning fireworks until the 5th should be brought in and I've already sent an e-mail to my local MP pointing this out.

As for those arrested, they appear in court next week on charges of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal, and a couple of more charges involving fireworks, but get this...they are aged between 13 and 15 years old. What was the shopkeeper thinking of when selling these idiots fireworks in the first place? Having said that, the police are looking into that as well.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.

Ouch, @Strat. A lesson well learntShocked

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Pete11 wrote:

... but get this...they are aged between 13 and 15 years old. What was the shopkeeper thinking of when selling these idiots fireworks in the first place? Having said that, the police are looking into that as well.

Could have been bought for them by some idiot adult.

Either way a despicable thing to do to man or beast but they'll probably get a slap on the wrist and sent away to do it againAngry

Trouble is @Mav it's one of those lessons learned during or after the event.

I had been told not to play with fireworks but as usual, thought "it won't happen to me"

I didn't stop me spending about 10 years as a part time 'sound engineer'.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's been LULU since late afternoon here !!

Still nice view of Sky Rockets across the valley.

Sky Rockets exampleSky Rockets example

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I guess this is it, fireworks going off from now until 2018. It's the pets I feel sorry for.