Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firework Season

Fixes: 47

Firework Season

I see that firework season is well under way Sad
3 or 4 weeks of bangs and rockets.
I can even remember way back in the mists of time when it was a 1 or 2 night event depending on which day of the week it fell.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Firework Season

When I was at school there seemed to be a lot more bonfires about now, I guess there are a lot more organized firework plus bonfire displays these days.
Some of the firework displays these days are quite impressive (and expensive)
Community Veteran

Surprisingly quiet round my neck of the woods! Smiley
Geoff,
York.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

round here they have fireworks all year round, half the time they are testing stuff for some display or another and the other half the time they are just random people who got hold of some for a party lol
as to the bonfires, when I was a kid there were dozens of smaller ones mostly arranged by a pub landlord  and a couple of local community members often with sparklers (the old fashioned kind that burnt your ungloved hand if you held it too near the top) and maybe a hundred smaller fireworks with food and a bar for some good honest family fun, now theres one held in the town for which you need to pre pay tickets months in advance, a handful of overpriced vendor wagons and its all very sterile, if your not watching the display that's often to some music or another its just an expensive waste of time to turn up /
i'd rather sit in my warm house and watch out the window but apparently the display has been moved a couple of miles out of town so its not likely to be visible this year, to stop people from viewing it for free ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

A couple of years ago I went to an organised bonfire and firework display.
At the same time, 50 yards away was a private display in someone's back garden.
It was so good, everyone turned to watch it.
I felt a little sorry for the guys who did the organised display.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Been a few fireworks going off round here, last year there were a few kids setting them off up the street (as in horizontally!!), not sure if they were caught by the rozzers, but hopefully the kids were sufficiently burned for being stupid...
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

The selling of fireworks to the public should be stopped, the fireworks should only be sold to professionals who put on professional fireworks displays, year on year too many people are injured with fireworks.
PowerLee
Rising Star

100% agree, ban the sale of fireworks to the general public.
There are far to many idiots about now causing issues by misusing fireworks   Angry
nanotm
Pro

you need a few serious injuries to remind people they are not a toy and you need to be sensible,
and for the extra special cases where they end up dead the Darwin award system is always looking for new members,
so no there is no need to ban their sale they serve a purpose and fill a role at a price point,
Preacherlady
Grafter

I agree that fireworks sale to public should be banned and only organised events.  I hate fireworks and my dog gets so upset by the bangs and flashes.
peter10
Grafter

When I  was young neighbourhoods used to organise bonfire parties. Different families would bring along a selection of goodies such as treacle toffee, parkin , jacket potatoes, black peas etc. Kids from different neighbourhoods would try to raid your bonfire wood before the night. Great times.
Some of the dirt paths near us were used by walkers and on one bend we used to light a penny banger which we had placed in a cow pat when somebody was approaching. We never did shower anybody properly but it was good fun trying. When I revisited where I spent my childhood the farm had gone and the lane was full of dog mess.
Not heard a single firework so far this year.  
valart
Grafter

I remember in the east end of London during  the blitz there were no fireworks then we had Hitler who put on his own firework show for that reason I have never been keen
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I was woken up earlier by a couple of large-sounding fireworks, first one made me jump out of my sleep in an adrenaline-fuelled panic, 2nd just made me say many words that are censored here......
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Ban the sale of fireworks to the public and introduce a licensing system
Every year, children and adults are injured by fireworks and the fire brigade is working overtime. All animals suffer from noise,pollution and air pressure created. Many people find them scary in nearby gardens or streets.....and this for several weeks from October right through to New Year.
All animal rescue centres are on full alert around Halloween and other days when fireworks are traditionally fired. Local councils could ensure safe displays in safe places at reasonable times so that people and animals could be spared injuries and losses by fire and in addition have undisturbed nights
Please sign the petition
nanotm
Pro

Talk about nanny state.....

If people can't be responsible with things then have the existing laws enforced, if you ban them people will just buy dodgy black-market versions and increase the problems with respect to noise damage and injury.
I've yet to meet a responsible pet owner most are idiots that live in urban areas and pamper their pets keeping them indoors except for the  twice daily walks, noises are normal and the pets get upset because the owners do which feeds itself perpetually.....