cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox To Drop Version Numbers Entirely

Steve
Pro

Firefox To Drop Version Numbers Entirely

It is no secret that the purpose of browser version numbers have been called into question with the introduction of rapid release processes. Google already said that version numbers are irrelevant for the consumer, but Mozilla apparently wants to go a step further by removing them entirely from mainstream eyes.
Mozilla surely understands how to raise controversy lately and is certainly knows how to upset some of its users. Rather than announcing the decision, Mozilla engages in a discussion with a not so subtle tone then tells users to either accept the elimination of version numbers or take a hike.
Following a rather unfortunate discussion about Mozilla not caring about business users, Dotzler announced in a Bugzilla bug report that the Firefox About window will not list a version number anymore, but simply state that the browser checked for an update recently and that the user is running the latest version. Those who want to know what version they are running can consult the about:support window.

From Here...http://www.conceivablytech.com/8873/products/firefox-to-drop-version-numbers-entirely
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Firefox To Drop Version Numbers Entirely

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=678775
A bit of heavy handed moderating as well
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

If you ask me I'd say Mozilla are just p*ss*d off because chrome has over taken them as the main threat to IE. Mozilla was the #1 threat to IE until Chrome took off with its 'unlimited' advertising on google. Now google have made their point about version numbers Mozilla are trying to look strong by being militant and jumping on the bandwagon thinking that google are onto something.
What they forgot is that some people like techy stuff.. they like being able to control what version they're using and they like to make their own decisions. If chrome want to remove that from the end user then its at their own peril. I don't think it will affect chrome much because you'll always get people download it who aren't techy - just because its part of google. People who download Mozilla/firefox are the very people they rely on as users - techy people and by following google they'll upset a lot of people that google don't need to cater for.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Ah but us techy people can still find out what version we are running  by consulting the about:support window. Its other people who are not techy that should be concerned, Imagine your ISP for example troubleshooting asking you what version of FF are you using?  Err don't know sir/madam but Its up to date..Crazy
Fixes: 125

Without version numbers easily visible how will the average user really know their vesrion is up-to-date?
Edit: Waht I mean is if there is an issue with the automitic updater you'll never know that it may not have been updated and, therefore, leaves security as a threat.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

That's a good point Mav, Unless you use Secunia or something similar. Undecided
nadger
Rising Star

Firefox 6 is still numbered - just updated to it  Smiley

Yes - it downloaded the update as soon I clicked on 'About Firefox'
Not so happy about that but at least you then get the option to apply the updates. Not sure what would happen if I didn't click apply - would they have automatically been applied next time I started FF?
Shame it doesn't do a plugin compatibility check before the upgrade takes place - is this possible, perhaps a database is kept somewhere?
So now I have disabled plugins and need to wait till they're updated. At least they're not important ones to me.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Steve
Pro

Yes using 6 now also, Used 5.0.1 for about two days Crazy Its getting rather silly now.

How long till we can add the 'About Firefox' box to this threadCheesy

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Shame it doesn't do a plugin compatibility check before the upgrade takes place - is this possible, perhaps a database is kept somewhere?

Seamonkey does check plugins before upgrading so I can only assume FF will too. Seamonkey is the developers version of FF but with a different interface. It's created by the same people who make FF but it basically comes with a few other bits like an IRC client, javascript debugger and page designer etc. Last time it tried to update it warned me that one of my plugins wouldn't work and gave me the option to abort.
Community Veteran

No it doesn't - it checks afterwards
WRONG  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

It may check after downloading the newest version but it doesn't physically replace the old files with the new ones. If it had I wouldn't be using my plugin would I Jim?
It asked me what I wanted to do - continue upgrading or abort. By aborting (IE not continuing) the upgrade hasn't been performed so it is checked BEFORE upgrading otherwise it would have to rollback wouldn't it.
Community Veteran

You're right it asked me as Stylish won't work so I have backed out as I have modified two sites - this one and google
Just checked Stylish has been updated and it hasn't happened automatically - manual update check doesn't find it either so I think I will wait until it does
Steve
Pro

I might be wrong here and correct me If I am but see my screenshot, Now If the highlighted box Is not ticked then FF wont update automatically?