Did you mean: 

Firefox Tips

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Firefox Tips

Hi All
Didn't know where to put this.
Plese put any tips on Firefox browser on here that you have.
I will start with:
To stop Firefox from hiding http:// in the address bar, type in to the address bar:
about:config
Then click on: I'll be careful, I promise!
Next type in to the address bar:
browser.urlbar.trimURLs
Next Right Click on True and toggle to false
That's it your done.
18 REPLIES
annerimmington
Grafter

Re: Firefox Tips

The new version of Firefox doesn`t have the old style tool bar..........took me ages to work out you have to click on the orange Firefox logo and then Options and click on Toolbar to get it back!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and one from Mav  if you have 34 tabs open, you can go from first to last by double clicking on the big arrows at either end.  Mind you why the heck he has 34 open at once I dont know,
and if you have that many open, right click on the other icons at the RH end, you can get a list and close all except the open on with one command
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Anyone else like Tab Mix Plus?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Firefox supports 'live' bookmarks which means you can add your favourite rss feeds to your bookmarks menu now instead of using a seperate newsreader.
This also has other implications. If you're any good with php / mysql you can create your own bookmarks database and then have them shared onto any computer you have via your own rss feed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Download pages faster by allowing multiple connections so it can download more than one file at a time.
Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time.
When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.
Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return.
Scroll down and alter the entries as follows:
    Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
    Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
    Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to 8. This means it will make 8 requests at once.
Restart Firefox
Fixes: 125

Quote from: pierre_pierre
and one from Mav  if you have 34 tabs open, you can go from first to last by double clicking on the big arrows at either end.  Mind you why the heck he has 34 open at once I dont know,

It's becoming a bit of a pain because if I only wish to move a few tabs left/right but click too quickly it zooms past and you have to start back the other way. Then if you click too quick again...
I don't always have so many open but at the time I had 4 FF windows open with 3 tabs in each of two and the fourth had around 25 tabs. Couldn't do that in IE without it crashing.
@ jelv I use Tab Mix Plus. A great boon for me Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav just open another window and have new tabs there instead. If you have say 36 tabs in one window its unmanageable. If you have 6 windows with 6 tabs its a lot easier to navigate.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Most people know about middle clicking a link to open it in a new tab. How many know that you can also middle click bookmarks (menu and bookmarks toolbar) and the Home Page icon to open the required page in a new tab?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: purleigh
Download pages faster by allowing multiple connections so it can download more than one file at a time.
Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time.
When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.
Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return.
Scroll down and alter the entries as follows:
    Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
    Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
    Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to 8. This means it will make 8 requests at once.
Restart Firefox

Thanks for that, you do get a warning about meddling with the config, but it can be ignored with these changes.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
Most people know about middle clicking a link to open it in a new tab.

Jelv you're a legend! Works in Seamonkey and even Cometbird too!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

never tried it, my two button mouse and scroll wheel, the scroll is a click button as well  and it works on that
Community Veteran

Same as me - 2 with a scroll that also clicks.
I had a really nice one years ago that had a cool blue LED inside it and it used to look really nice. As sods law would have it the darn thing broke and I never found another like it Sad

On the subject of tabs did you know you can drag a tab out of the window it's in to another FF window? Or even drag it out and release mouse button over the desktop and that tab opens in it's own new window.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

If you have 'Show All Bookmarks' (CTRL-Shift-B) you can bookmark a page by dragging the icon just to the left of the URL to the Bookmark list.