cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 4 is out

Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Re: Firefox 4 is out

But this is reassuring - mind you, I didn't check it until after I had completed the questionnaire  Roll eyes
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Something wrong with my Firefox 4.0 See my Attachment.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Figured It out I think, The cache automatically uses 1024MB, Put It down to 100MB And will see how I get on.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Just found out how to get the new tab icon back where I used to have it on the toolbar http://support.mozilla.com/hy-AM/questions/805736#answer-160724
Firefox 4 technically has two New Tab buttons. One on the Tab bar that always stays there and a second New Tab button that can be dragged on other toolbars. If you drag the New Tab button from its default position (shows at the right end of the tab bar if Customize is open) then that button becomes a regular toolbar button and the default New Tab button gets hidden. If it is not on the Tab bar then the icon changes from a + to the toolbar version of that icon.

Not applicable

I installed it on a computer the other day after setting up Kaspersky and noticed that the url checker was not on.  The addon section had it greyed out and said that it was not compatible with FF4.  Any other Kaspersky users seen this?
Community Veteran

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: alanf
I wouldn't rush to update. Some add-ons, including those from security companies, are not yet available for Firefox 4.
For example Rapport and Norton Internet Security
"Does Rapport support Firefox 4?
Unfortunately Rapport currently does not support Firefox 4. Firefox 4 is currently in a Released Candidate version. Once Firefox 4 Stable version is released, a supporting version of Rapport will be developed."
http://www.trusteer.com/support/faq/supported-platforms
I thought that the idea of release candidates was to enable development BEFORE final release!

A version of Rapport that works with Firefox 4 and IE9 is now available.
http://www.trusteer.com/faq/i-dont-see-rapport-icon-firefox-4
http://www.trusteer.com/faq/i-no-longer-see-rapport-icon-internet-explorer
pnf
Grafter

I tried Firefox 4 a few weeks ago and found a problem with the way that it renders text, in that everything looks slightly blurred or out of focus.  As a result I have had to go back to using Firefox 3.  Interestingly, IE9 has the same issue as Firefox 4, but clicking on 'Compatability View' in IE9 resolves the problem and the text becomes sharp again.  I haven't found anything in Firefox 4 that is equivalent to 'Compatability View' in IE9.
I can confirm that Rapport works in FF4 and IE9.
Smiley
Dabbler

Smiley.. I really tried to like ff4, but I've HAD to switch back to 3.6.17 since it slowed to a crawl
Community Veteran

Just tried to pay for my car insurance with Liverpool Victoria and the popup to move to the Verified by Visa site wouldn't work - disabling Adblock didn't help so I had to do the unthinkable use IE9  Crazy
Smiley
Dabbler

Smiley...If IE9 works and FF4 doesn't  Shocked
pnf
Grafter

Thanks to the link provided by artmo in reply 51, I've found the solution to the problem with text rendering in Firefox 4.  The blurred and out of focus text is caused by hardware acceleration being enabled by default and so by unticking 'Use hardware acceleration when available' (under the Advanced options tab) the problem is resolved.  I'm now using Firefox 4.
For more detail on this issue see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2060933&sid=34da18f83f09120b12c504c9357fe699
Community Veteran

When FF4 was released I delayed upgrading because of the mixed reports I read on this forum.  Now that it has had time to settle down is it worth getting?
csogilvie
Grafter

Well, they've already released Firefox 5... and Firefox 6 is due out soon (by the end of the year at least).
Lots of people have complained that it's got slower in the later versions, something which I think I'd agree with.
jazz
Grafter

We're now on to Firefox 5 and Firefox 6 is in Beta.  Perhaps you ought to think about updating but go straight past Firefox 4!!  Smiley